Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Hardwired Smoke and CO Detectors: Are They All "Interconnceted"

Old 10-16-13, 11:29 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just bought a house built in 2005. The home has hardwired smoke detectors, but the CO detectors are separate and battery powered. I had a situation a few years back where a hardwired, interconnected CO detector--without exaggeration--saved my life. As a result, I would like to add hardwired CO detectors here by switching out some of my existing photoelectrics with photo/CO combos. It is also relevant to note I live in Massachusetts where photo/ionic combos are required by fire code in certain locations away from kitchens and baths.

I've been looking around and FirstAlert seems to have the options I need to add CO protection and also keep to code. The problem is only some of the hardwireds are also labeled as "interconnected". Are all hardwireds per as interconnected, or only some? I wondering if this was just mislabeling on websites, or whether only some hardwireds will sound the other alarms in the house.

Thanks,
Obes

Old 10-16-13, 11:33 AM
O
Also, do I have to keep brand integrity, or can I just plug and play different brands and still have the alarms "talk" to each other?

Old 10-16-13, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You should be able to change out one or more of the units as long as they are on the compatibility list that should be in the instructions.

You will need interconnected units so that an alarm in one area will be heard throughout the house. Any hard-wired unit should have an interconnect wire.

Old 10-16-13, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
With the house being nine years old you may not find compatible devices. I would replace all the units to what you want now. Start with all new.

Old 10-17-13, 10:38 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
With the house being nine years old you may not find compatible devices. I would replace all the units to what you want now. Start with all new.
The detectors need to be replaced every 10 years anyway so I would follow PJ's suggestion.

Old 10-17-13, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Totally overlooked that aspect guys. Thanks for the catch.

Old 10-17-13, 03:42 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
The detectors need to be replaced every 10 years anyway...
Really? That's my schedule for changing the batteries in mine.

Old 10-30-13, 07:08 AM
O
So now I'm in the house about to replace all the smokes. Going from FireX to BRK so I also have to change out the harneses.

In the small basement, I have two detectors--one at the bottom of the stairs to the main living level, and another in front of my propane furnace. When rewiring the harness to the detector in front of the furnace, I discovered it wasn't interconnected, and is instead powered of the 15A branch circuit that serves the furnace.

Is this proper? I'm concerned a furnace fire that then wouldn't ring the upstairs bedroom alams. I wouldn't be a big deal to run some 14/3 between the furnace alarm and the other basement alarm, but if there's a reason for this type of setup, I certainly don't want to screw it up if it was done correctly.

Old 10-30-13, 09:24 AM
I'm in the house about to replace all the smokes.

In the small basement, I have two detectors--one at the bottom of the stairs to the main living level, and another in front of my propane furnace. When rewiring the harness to the detector in front of the furnace, I discovered it wasn't interconnected, and is instead powered of the 15A branch circuit that serves the furnace.

Is this proper?
I would inspect the detector you found near the furnace very carefully before replacing it - not to mention interconnecting it.

That's a common and pendent location for a CO detector.

Old 10-30-13, 10:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
n the small basement, I have two detectors--one at the bottom of the stairs to the main living level, and another in front of my propane furnace.
Unless you have some local codes that are more strict, a small basement should only need one detector. I don't see any reason to have 2 detectors in a small space. (unless of course they are different types)

Old 10-30-13, 08:43 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Unless I am mistaken the installation instructions for residential smoke and carbon monoxide alarms recommend NOT placing them near furnaces or boilers.

Also, the alarm located at the foot of the stairs is incorrectly placed, it should be at the top of the stairway.

Old 10-30-13, 11:19 PM
Unless I am mistaken the installation instructions for residential smoke and carbon monoxide alarms recommend NOT placing them near furnaces or boilers.
Interesting. And accurate: Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement.

Learned something today.

Old 10-31-13, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A CO alarm located too close to the appliance can cause issues until a draft is established in the venting.

You could install aan interconnected heat detector near the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: