Meter/Main usage

Old 10-16-13, 01:02 PM
Meter/Main usage

It looks like our house build will be starting shortly. I want to start purchasing all my electrical soon and have a few questions.
The layout of the house does not allow me to have the meter socket directly behind the main OPD in the utility room. It has to be located roughly 40 feet away. Can I use a meter breaker combo like this outside?

Eaton 200 Amp BR Type Main Breaker Meter Breaker Without Distribution EUSERC-MBEB200BTS at The Home Depot

Then technically my main load center in the utility room would be a sub panel yes? Would a main Lug panel like this be acceptable?

Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 200 Amp 40-Space 40-Circuit Indoor Main Lugs Load Center with Cover with Surge Breaker SPD-HOM40L200CSB at The Home Depot

Would 4/0, 4/0, 4/0, 2/0 SER be acceptable to run between?
Here is a photo of my "plan"
Name:  Proposal.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  17.4 KB
The red and yellow box on the far right is the meter/breaker, the green and yellow in the center is the main lug panel. Blue line is the interconnecting wire.
I appreciate any and all help/input or completely other ideas.

Wes

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-13, 01:21 PM
Yes you can do this.

Since you'll be building a house, it may be a good time to build a relationship with a local supply house.

You can get a "job" price for the whole package including breakers you'll need for significant savings.

Also, I know Home Depot does it, but you may be able to submit a list of the total materials and have them submit to their "bid room".

Old 10-16-13, 01:27 PM
Thanks!
I have already been in contact with the Homedepot "bid room" folks. We are ordering our cabinets, counter tops, plumbing fixtures and some wiring devices from them. We'll see if they come back with a big enough discount to make them cheaper than Menards.

I'll be making a new build thread where I will post photos and updates as I go along.

Wes

Old 10-16-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your power company should have a list of meter sockets that they will allow on their system. Make sure your equipment is on the list or prepare to change it to something that is.