Question about doorbell chime...PLEASE help!

Old 10-16-13, 06:14 PM
Question about doorbell chime...PLEASE help!

Hey everyone,
I came home today and noticed that the light on the doorbell button wasn't lit...I went to check it out up close and realized that the button was jammed in. I released the button by wiggling it and the light came back on...the light goes off when you press the button in and turns back on when you release the button.

I tried to push the button in to ring the doorbell, but the doorbell didn't ring.

I went inside the house and smelled the faintest smell of burning, so I immediately took the cover off of the doorbell chime. It had a very faint smell of burning, and the metal parts of it were scorching HOT!

I went downstairs to the panel and killed the breaker that powers the doorbell button (I'm assuming it also powers the doorbell chime). I then disconnected the wires from the doorbell chime.

The metal parts of the chime started cooling down (I'm assuming they started cooling as I released the button right when I got home).

The metal parts are now col and I have put morrets on the wires that lead to the chime.

This is my assumption: Someone tried to ring the dooorbell and the button got stuck. This lead to the chime's motor being constantly in the "ding" position and constant power going to the chime motor. This lead to the burning smell and hot metal pieces of the chime.

I don't know where the transistor is in my house but I've scavenged the basement, so I'm assuming it's in the attic.

I'm going to replace the doorbell chime and button with a new one (one that doesnt stick) because I'm assuming that my above assumption was correct. Should I be worried about anything else?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-13, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

What you are scrounging for is called a transformer. It's usually mounted to the panel but can be mounted to a junction box anywhere in the house and sometimes in the attic or basement.

Since the light is still working...... so is your transformer. Just replace the button and the chime unit and you should be good to go.

P.S. When you replace the button.... make sure it pushes into the hole smoothly. If the hole is too small or has a burr in it.... it can squeeze the switch and cause it to stick.