Electrical Panel had 4 breakers under water.

Old 10-18-13, 04:54 PM
Electrical Panel had 4 breakers under water.

Hi. I am purchasing a HUD home that had a flooded basement. Of course the 42 switch panel and a smaller 24(I think) panel had gotten wet up to the 3rd breaker from the bottom. HUD has the panel on so I believe it is OK to continue to use the panel. I think I should not trust the breakers that were submerged and change them out. I think they would be unreliable if they did work and would not be safe to use anyways. Would anyone think the panel itself should be replaced or at least cleaned. I haven't closed on the home yet so I cant do any work. Just trying to get my priorities lined up when I do get the green light.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-13, 06:15 PM
The breakers may be fine. We had a commercial electrical gear half-submerged after it was energized. After we carefully got the doors open and let the room dry out a bit, we just let it dry on its own for a day or two before we worked on it again.

The biggest headache was getting it to look new again.

Here are links to more on the subject from NEMA - the National Electrical Manufacturers Association.

Old 10-18-13, 07:17 PM
the 42 switch panel and a smaller 24(I think) panel had gotten wet up to the 3rd breaker from the bottom.
I'd replace both panels and all breakers. It's required here.

HUD has the panel on so I believe it is OK to continue to use the panel.
Very foolish of them, but it's the Federal government so nothing surprises me any more.