Light Bulbs Burning Out Too Fast Help

Old 02-22-01, 07:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi

I live in a duplex built in 1978 -no aluminum wiring- standard flip breakers.

My neighbor does not have this problem. There are no vibrations nearby AKA (Trains, Planes Blasting).

When I put standard 100 Watt light bulbs in my permanent overhead fixtures, they seem to only last two to three months max. When I turn on a switch It blows it out and within a week- also at least six more will blow out under the same circumstances.

This is getting old and agravating as its been going on for years. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

SD

Old 02-22-01, 07:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a voltmeter. You can get cheap ones for only $10, although I try for a $25 one if you can afford it. Measure the voltage at the light bulb socket.

If this voltage is okay (115 to 125), then make sure you're buying regular name-brand (e.g., GE) bulbs. You might also experiment with long-life and hard-service bulbs to see if they work better for you.

You may also be having voltage surges. Your power company may be able to investigate this for you.

Post back and let us know.

Old 02-22-01, 12:45 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
There are two things that I would like to add to John's reply.

First you may be using light bulbs with a larger rating than the fixture is designed and allowed to utilize. If this is true you are creating a fire hazard and may have damaged you wiring in the box above the light fixture. Most ceiling lights are rated for only 60 watt bulbs. Many times people put in 100 watt bulbs. This increases the heat and much reduces the life expectancy of the bulbs and also increases the heat around that fixture to exceed the maximum it was designed for thus causing damage to your wiring and creating a possible hazard to fire.

The second thought might be that you are running these bulbs long periods of time. A normal incandescent bulb's life expectancy is around 1000 to 1200 hours. If you are running you bulbs 24 hours a day without the heat dissapating due to the light being off for a period of time, then you probably are shortening the life expectancy due to the expected intermittent use of household bulbs. You also would rapidly approaching the life expectancy of those bulbs in a short period of time.

If you are using too large of a bulb for the rating of the fixture reduce the wattage of those bulbs, this should help eliviate you problem.

If you are running your bulbs long periods of time thus rapidly eating up the life expectancy of your household bulbs then I suggest you invest in flourscent adapter bulbs that will screw into you normal light socket. They are much more expensive but the life expectancy should be in years and you wattage usage should be reduced pleasantly on your electric bill to get the same amount of light.

Hope we helped

Wg

Old 02-23-01, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
I would think the high watt bulbs are the problem but I can add another thought. The year of his duplex, 1978 is a clue that possibly he needs to have an electrician in to tighten all of the connections in his panel. I ran into this problem many years ago in a house I owned. I was lucky enough that the electrician I called did much work in my neighborhood and when I told him my problem he quickly answered that it was common that after 20-25 years due to the constant expansion/contraction of metal that connections in the panel need tightened. He compared it to a "brownout" when explaining it. I was not the first in that 20 year old neighborhood that had this problem and he also had me call the electric company to tighten all the connections on the outside mast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: