Badly made 50-amp 240 volt junction. How do I fix this??

Old 10-21-13, 07:52 AM
Exclamation Badly made 50-amp 240 volt junction. How do I fix this??

I discovered in my attic there was a junction box with two 50-amp wires coming in and out, respectively. My friend who's an electrician said these were aluminum wires and the junction was not rightly made. (This was probably made by the previous homeowner or the contractor that remodeled the house for sale.) How do I go about fixing this? I know some basic electric work but not this kind of 50-amp thing. The one wire came from the main circuit box in the house. The other, I believe, goes to the range/stove.

If someone can give me instruction to correct this problem, I'd appreciate it. Please see the pic for the badly made connection/junction.

Thanks,
Wirawan

Name:  1012031054a.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  35.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-13, 07:58 AM
Maybe get some conduit and sleeve the wire where it lays on the floor to protect it from damage.

Then, get like a 6X6X4 junction box, preferably PVC, and make your joints up in there.

You can use polaris taps .

Last edited by wirenut1110; 10-21-13 at 09:44 AM. Reason: removed incorrect info.
Old 10-21-13, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest two 6X6 junction boxes each anchored to a ceiling joist. Copper wire between and connected to the aluminum wire wire with split bolt connectors intended for connecting aluminum to copper. Split bolts will need to be wrapped with rubber tape then good quality PVC electrical tape.

Mod Note: If the cables contain aluminum conductors wire nut connectors cannot be used. There are none big enough for that size cable.

Last edited by pcboss; 10-21-13 at 03:40 PM. Reason: removed incorrect info re wire nuts and AL
Old 10-21-13, 09:44 AM
Thanks Ray!!! Didn't know they were suitable for AL/AL connections. Learn something new everyday.

Old 10-21-13, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
I believe it has been posted here that big blues aren't suitable but I may be wrong. I'll admit splicing to copper was on my mind and you may be right and I may be wrong. I am editing my post. We don't know the wire size. What is max for the big blues?

Last edited by ray2047; 10-21-13 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 01:15 PM
On Ideal's website:
UNDERWRITER’S LABORATORIES LISTED WIRE COMBINATIONS
The combinations listed are Cu-Cu Only. (Do Not use on Al-Al connections.)
The combinations listed are solid and/or stranded wire unless otherwise noted

They will take up to 2-#6's, amongst a billion other combinations.

Guess I need to read the instructions once in a while

Old 10-21-13, 07:00 PM
Didn't know they were suitable for AL/AL connections.
For future reference, even Ideal's purple #65 Twister wire nuts are not listed for AL/AL connections. As far as I know, there is no wirenut approved for AL/AL connections, but you'll sure find plenty of them in most homes wired with aluminum wire.