Height of electrical box for a range hood (no cabinet)?

Old 10-21-13, 02:49 PM
Height of electrical box for a range hood (no cabinet)?

What is the recommended height to place the electrical box for the wires that will connect to an standalone range hood such the types such as this?

Name:  Range_Hood_Inset.jpg
Views: 6518
Size:  12.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-13, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe those have a built-in box above the hood near the transition to the vertical cover.

You should check the instructions to be sure, but you may be able to leave the cable in the ceiling and then locate it where needed. Make sure to leave some extra length.

Old 10-21-13, 08:52 PM
I've seen way too many drywall guys cut horribly crooked and out of position openings for raised cover plates. I just figured I would put an electrical box right in the midline of the vent, so that it is nice and neat before the drywall guys put the drywall up. I think the installer for the vent would appreciate the neatness of a box there too.

If I know the exact midline of the vent, how high should I put the electrical outlet box? How high do people put an electrical box for an over-the-range microwave? Maybe that would be an appropriate height for where I want to put my electrical box for a standalone vent.

Old 10-21-13, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
How high do people put an electrical box for an over-the-range microwave?
If it's a direct wire then you need to know where the bottom of the cabinet falls. Most over the range units plug into a receptacle in the cabinet above.

I wired for one of those last year ..... like PCboss mentioned..... the junction box is built into the exhaust fan unit. I believe I left the cable exiting the sheetrock about two feet down from the ceiling. It was hidden by the vertical trim cover.

Look in the installation manual for exact measurement.

Old 10-22-13, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the confirmation PJ.