Changing wiring fixture for outside hanging light

Old 10-22-13, 09:15 AM
Changing wiring fixture for outside hanging light

i have been trying to figure out why my entryway and hallway which is covered by the roof of my garage is freezing, and turns out i need to add some additional insulation since the builder ( back in 1985) only put R11 there.

The issue is that the outside light has a fixture in the attic space where there is a gap left so there is no insulation contact. See picture below. Is that can normal to have for a hanging outdoor fixture? can i change it to a ceiling box and put the insulation over it? If not, what can i change it to? Remember this is an outdoor light that will be hanging from it.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-13, 09:54 AM
The issue is that the outside light has a fixture in the attic space where there is a gap left so there is no insulation contact. See picture below. Is that can normal to have for a hanging outdoor fixture?
That looks like the housing for a recessed fixture. If so, then no, that isn't what a hanging fixture should be mounted to. Yes, you can replace that with a standard ceiling box. To do that, you will need to patch the opening for this housing and then cut in an old-work box, or mount a new-work box - probably one with a mounting strap that will attach to the joists. Either way, replacing a square piece of the drywall, from joist to joist, will probably be the first step.

You could also replace the existing fixture with a recessed one that is IC rated, or install an insulation box over the existing housing.

Old 10-22-13, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
I think Nash.... misunderstood you. Your light is outside.

That is a recessed lighting can which would normally just have a trim ring covering it outside.
How did they attach an outside light to that ?

Since that's probably up at the soffit it's going to be tricky to get to.

I'd love to see a picture of the outside fixture.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-22-13, 01:07 PM
I understand that the light fixture hanging from what looks like a recessed fixture is outside. Among other things, I'm wondering why anyone would want to insulate the ceiling over what is essentially a porch.

I'd love to see a picture of the outside fixture.
I'd love to see two. One with the fixture mounted and one with it loose.

Old 10-24-13, 09:59 AM
Its actually not in a soffit - but right up in the garage attci, which overhangs that entry door. ( hence the drafts it is causing because they skimped on insulation as well) Im guessing maybe there was a recessed light there originally there at some point which may have been switched out - ill take a picture as soon as i get home.

Old 10-24-13, 03:56 PM
Its actually not in a soffit - but right up in the garage attic, which overhangs that entry door (hence the drafts it is causing because they skimped on insulation as well).
Insulation should be installed next to the conditioned space of your house. Is this fixture inside or outside? How is the wall with the entry door in it separated from the exterior in the space above the ceiling?

Unless there is conditioned living space above it, a garage ceiling shouldn't need to be insulated.

We should be able to help you replace the fixture, or the box it is mounted to. In addition, you may also want to ask some questions in our insulation and/or framing forums. Let's get the light question answered first.

Im guessing maybe there was a recessed light there originally there at some point which may have been switched out - ill take a picture as soon as i get home.
We look forward to seeing them.

Old 10-30-13, 05:43 AM
The entryway shares a ceiling with the garage, so the attic and roof of the garage goes over entryway hall way. The fixture is outside, I've attached a picture of it.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20131030073516538.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  CameraZOOM-20131029190815232.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 10-30-13, 08:24 AM
You need to install insulation above your entry hall. It should stop short of the soffit this fixture is mounted in and not extend over your garage. You can change out the fixture, or its box, or both, if you like, but the soffit area should remain uninsulated.

I rotated one of your pictures:

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  30.8 KB