Wall plug to 30 amp DC

Old 10-23-13, 04:49 PM
Wall plug to 30 amp DC

I want to be able to go from the wall with two bare wires DC to connect to a winch, what do I need to do to make that happen, thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-13, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well....that's not going to happen. You can't just stick 2 wires in an AC (presumably) outlet and have 30A of DC magically appear.

You need a converter that will plug in to the outlet that will provide the required power for your load.

Why not just buy a car battery and connect the winch to that? Charge it when not in use.

Old 10-23-13, 05:05 PM
We'll battery will be inconvenient, we'll I want to plug into wall then somehow get to DC any suggestion?

Old 10-23-13, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
As I said, you'll need a converter of some sort...but the 30A requirement will make it pretty expensive, if it's even available. One of those battery start/charger units might work, but they'd cost more than a battery and a dolly to wheel it around.

Wait and see what a car guy can suggest...I just don't see an easy/cheap answer.

Old 10-23-13, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
What is the make and model of the winch and what are you pulling?

This must be a fairly small winch because a 30 amp draw at 12 volts is not that much for a winch.
You would need a power supply of some type as TG sugested but you need to be careful if you try a battery charger.
Most of them nowadays have a protection circuit that needs voltage at the clamps before the charger will provide power.

I'll second a battery that you charge later or if you use this in one spot just leave the winch and an automatic charger connected to battery.

Old 10-23-13, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A battery charger/starter won't have the constant power to run a winch, as it will fall off with the large draw of power. I know of no regulated power supply that will output that much constantly. I am installing a winch for a client in his boat house to pull a jet ski trailer from the lake (about 75'), and plan on using a battery with a charger when it gets down on charge. Too simple.

Either that, or buy an AC winch.

Old 10-23-13, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
If you had to use a DC power supply you'd need to consider something like the Astron RS-70A power supply. It delivers 58 amps continuous and 70 amps peak. Runs about 350 bucks.