Adding a new circuit?

Old 10-24-13, 11:16 AM
Adding a new circuit?

Hi, all.

First, some background on the situation. I am looking to install under cabinet lighting in my kitchen. I am looking to hard wire it into a single pole switch that only operates a single can light (above the sink). My dilemma (and I'm not 100% sure of this) is that I believe the garbage disposal is connected to the same circuit (the switches are in the same box, right next to eachother, and the light dims a little whenever the disposal is turned on). I guess I have a few questions. First, could I still hard wire the under cabinet lights (which will be LED) to that circuit if the disposal is in fact connected to it? And if not, how hard is it to put the switch for the light above the sink on a new circuit (is that even feasible)? I guess most importantly, is the best way to determine if they are on the same circuit to just turn off the power and test?

Thank you for the help. I am new to the forum and need some direction!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-13, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome,

Turn off the breaker for the disposal and see if the light still works. This will tell you if they are on the same circuit. They should not be.

It is not uncommon to have more than one circuit in a box.

Old 10-24-13, 08:17 PM
Ok ... I turned off the breaker for the disposal. Unfortunately, the power to the light was also cut off. At least now I know. I guess the next question is there a way to tie it into another circuit? Or should I run it on its own circuit if I plan to connect the cabinet lights to it? Worst part is the switch I am looking at is in one corner of the house, while the breaker boxes are in the opposite corner in the unfinished part of the basement (the rest is finished). Would you recommend a real electrician do this for me? I've done electrical work around the house, but it seems this may be outside of my scope of knowledge.

Old 10-25-13, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without knowing your skill set or the layout of where you need to work it would be tough to say whether you should hire this out.