Wiring Oil Burner to Generator

Old 10-24-13, 02:10 PM
Wiring Oil Burner to Generator

Hello Everyone,

So last year, during Hurricane Sandy, I had no power for 2 weeks. I called my local plumber and he offered to run an extension corde across the street to power the oil burner (from my neighbor). He took a worker's light or trouble light (kind of like this) Gatzies - Trouble Light - Apparently he was doing this all over the town.

I have a simple emergency switch for the oil burner, basically an electrical light switch in the wall. He took out the wires and hooked them up to the trouble light.

Now I want to get a generator and now I am trying to figure what happens in this situation. There is a Hot Wire and a Neutral Wire, which one plugs into which outlet hole? Or it doesn't matter?

Does some electricity flow back into the house?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-13, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may want to look at something like this.

Reliance Controls TF151W - 15-Amp (120V 1-Circuit) Furnace Transfer Switch

You may also want to consider something that gives you more flexibility throughout the house and add a transfer switch.

Old 10-24-13, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
The only safe code approved way to do it is with a transfer switch and an inlet. They make single circuit ones for furnaces.

Name:  31218a01-5c9e-4802-9288-d4e654b5b8d6_400.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  23.7 KB
Image source: Home Depot

Old 10-25-13, 07:47 AM
I understand that with a Transfer Switch is safe. I am not asking about that, I am asking if plugging the 2 neutral and hot wire into the plug will work, is there a specific direction it should go in, or it doesn't matter?

Old 10-25-13, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
The forum does not advise on unsafe practices that could result in injuries are death. Every year lineman for the electric company are injured or killed by people hooking up generators in an unsafe manor. Why not do it correctly?

It will wok to plug the neutral and hot into a receptacle if the furnace is totally disconnected from the house mains. They should be connected to a fifteen amp plug, white to silver, black to brass, green to bare. This should only be done in an emergency. It is not an emergency if you have time to do it correctly and shouldn't therefore be done that way.