Sending Different Currents, Same Wire - Need Help!

Old 10-24-13, 09:33 PM
Question Sending Different Currents, Same Wire - Need Help!

I am working on a current project and I need some help:

I have a attached a long piece wire to the back on a long piece of paper. I painted the piece of paper with thermochromic paint, which changes color when the wire heats up the paper when a current is run through it.

It is possible have different different current along the wire at the same moment in order to display different colors on the paper at the same time? I really don't know much about electricity and accessories, so if you could give me any suggestions, that would be great! I just don't want to have different wires for different colors.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-13, 12:17 AM
In a word, no. Current in a series circuit, and yours will be a series from the source to a load and back to the source, is ALWAYS the same at any point in that circuit.

Old 10-25-13, 05:55 AM
You could double-up, triple-up the wires to split the current.

Old 10-25-13, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure what type of wire you're using, but expanding on what Astuff mentioned, you could use two pieces of wire along part of the length, making it effectively a larger wire. Where the wire is larger, there will be less resistance and therefore less heating. Where the wire is single, there's more resistance and more heating.

Or if you split the wire - The areas that have the two separate wires will be roughly half the heat. Do it 3 times like that and you have 1/3 the resistance/heat.

Old 10-25-13, 10:28 AM
Parallel Circuit

If you use the same size wire for multiple runs across the back of your paper, you
could place resistors in each run to vary the current for each conductor. With Ohm's Law you could calculate what the current for each conductor would be so
you know the percentage of difference between the conductors and your color
result for each.