Double 3-Way Switches Issues

Old 10-27-13, 05:47 PM
Double 3-Way Switches Issues

I have just replaced 4 x double 3 way switches. Two double switches are in one room, the other two are in another. I thought I had wired them exactly the same way they were removed, however when I switch on any one double 3-way switch, both sets of lights connected to the double switch come on. Is there a connector I need to break off between the two switches (like separating a double outlet to single circuits?) or have I wired them incorrectly?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Due you mean a duplex 3-way switch?
Name:  e81d42fd-6dfd-40be-b5b8-116832507f92_300.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  7.2 KB

Is there a connector I need to break off between the two switches (like separating a double outlet to single circuits?)
Maybe if it is a switch loop.

I thought I had wired them exactly the same way they were removed
What is important is which wire went to the common of each switch. That is not always the same place depending on manufacturer. Did you mark the common wire and put it on the common of the new switch?

Old 11-03-13, 09:00 AM
Hi Ray2047

Sorry for the delay in responding. Had some urgent canine medical issues to deal with this week.

I have attached some pictures of both the old wired switches (there pictures are of the two old switches) and the new Leviton wired switch.

Is there any way I can check if it is a switch loop?

Once again man thanks for responding and my apologies for the delay.

Attached Images     
Old 11-03-13, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
The wiring is very confusing. White is not normally seen on the odd color screw terminal of the switch.

It's hard to tell from the picture.... but looking at your old switch..... is there a dark colored screw for each switch. There should be one dark and two silver/brass screws for each switch.

When you change from the old switch to the new switch..... only the wire on the dark terminal is important. That wire must be on the dark screw at all times.

In your first picture you show two dark colored screws with only one white wire. Is that correct ?

Old 11-04-13, 08:05 AM
It's hard to tell from the picture.... but looking at your old switch..... is there a dark colored screw for each switch. There should be one dark and two silver/brass screws for each switch.
I am pretty sure that the third picture shows 4 brass screws on one side. This was re-wired some time ago and the old switch was thrown away after I took the pictures. But you can see the common wire on the opposite side to the hot wires, however I do understand that different switches have different configurations.

In your first picture you show two dark colored screws with only one white wire. Is that correct ?
That is correct. If you look at picture 4 which is the old switch replaced with the new switch in pictures 1 and 3, there is only one common wire going to the opposite side of the switch.