Need some help running power to a shed

Old 10-28-13, 07:49 AM
Need some help running power to a shed

Hi everyone,

Here is the situation. Just purchased a home. It is brick over block construction built in 1964. Not exactly sure what kind of wood frame is on the interior of the block.

There is a shed about 10 feet from a addition. At some point there was power to this or the original shed, or it was planned to have power, but never connected. On the back of the addition, there is a LB that goes through the brick and into the wall cavity (no wires coming into the LB from the house) and then has 2 buried wires heading in direction of the shed that do not enter the shed and are assumed just buried. The addition is single story with attic (the gable side facing the shed). My plan is to have a single GFIC outlet in the shed to run a tool and or a trickle charger. Very simple power demands.

On the addition there is an attic fan behind the gable vent that I am removing. This gives me a power line already run to the wall where I would want it. I would like to run this line in the wall cavity and out to the exterior where I will have a new LB connected to buried conduit heading to the shed.

Just for the sake of completeness, there is no power outlet on this wall. I will likely need to make a hole in the wall just about where the LB is to assist in bringing the wire from the attic and getting into the LB.

Questions:
1. Does this sound doable, crazy, or just plan wrong?
2. In the attic, the exterior wall in question runs parallel to the ceiling joist. it appears to sit about 3/8" from the block. When I move the insulation out of the way, I see no top plate of the wall and just see the gypsum board. How do I get into the wall cavity? Do I drill at an angle into the joist? Ive run wires on interior walls, but never ran into this situation.
3. Buried wires or buried conduit?

thanks for the information!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-13, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Questions:
1. Does this sound doable, crazy, or just plan wrong?
Doable.
2. In the attic, the exterior wall in question runs parallel to the ceiling joist. it appears to sit about 3/8" from the block. When I move the insulation out of the way, I see no top plate of the wall and just see the gypsum board. How do I get into the wall cavity? Do I drill at an angle into the joist? Ive run wires on interior walls, but never ran into this situation.
Hard to for me to visualize can you post a picture? I'd say run it outside and run conduit down the wall.
3. Buried wires or buried conduit?
You can't bury wires. You can bury UF cable. If you use wires they must be in conduit. If you use cable best practice is only use conduit to protect the cable where it enters or leaves the ground.

Old 10-28-13, 11:08 AM
For the amount of labor you'll be investing, a slightly larger investment in wire may be worth it. 12-3 with ground is the minimum I'd bring to a shed. Even if the j-box in the attic only uses one of the hots.

UF is for outdoor use only. Unless it is also labelled Flame Retardant.