Electrical wiring issue

Old 10-28-13, 01:20 PM
Electrical wiring issue

Hi,

I replaced a chandelier and forgot to note down the cable connections. When I took the old one out , noticed 3 wires on the top . Black, Red and White. Both black and red were hot wires whereas white one was neutral.
There were 2 black cables coming out of the new Chandelier. I connected one of the black to black and the other black to White and the whole lightning system in the kitchen started acting funny. I then disconnected the black wire and connected it to the red wire and everything came back to normal. But later I realized that power sockets in the washrooms stopped working. No current at all.
I opened the switch panel in the kitchen and my head started spinning.
The connection on the switch looked like "photo attached".
Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong and what is the correct way of connecting the wires.

Thanks

Name:  electrical.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  10.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-28-13 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Removed email address
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-13, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.
(We don't post email addresses on the board)

What you are showing in your diagram is fairly normal. One hot wire coming in and shared by both switches. A black wire on your right switch and a red wire on the left switch.

That would usually mean that the left switch controls the light(s) connected to the red and white.
And the right switch would control light(s) on the black and white.

Normally the two black wires would be spliced together and then two short tails would be added to go to the switches. This eliminates a loose connection impeding the voltage from passing thru that box.

Old 10-28-13, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reply.
So that means the dead sockets has nothing to do with the chandelier install?
It is pure coincidence ?

Old 10-28-13, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Are there only three house wires at the chandelier?

Old 10-28-13, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
If you only have those three wires in the ceiling at the light then the connections at the light shouldn't affect the receptacles.

I'm guessing one of those switches controls the light you are currently working on. What does the other switch go to ?

Uusally red on one switch and black on another would mean wiring for a ceiling fan.

Old 10-29-13, 07:25 AM
There are only 2 black wires coming out of the chandelier.
On the ceiling there are 3 wires, Black(hot) , Red(Hot) and white (Neutral)
On the switch the "Red" and "Black" on the top are Neutral and "Black" wire is connected in serial with a Black (Hot) wire on the lower terminal. The two white wires are joined together but are not connected to the switch.
There are 2 lights in the room. Switch 1 is for the chandelier which is on the top of breakfast table and switch 2 is in the kitchen side.

Old 10-29-13, 09:44 AM
There are only 2 black wires coming out of the chandelier.
Are those the only two wires the chandelier has? Is there any apparent difference between them? For example, is the insulation on one of the wires ridged and the insulation on the other one smooth?

On the ceiling there are 3 wires, Black(hot) , Red(Hot) and white (Neutral)
Often, one of the two "hot" wires in that situation is always hot and the other is switch-controlled. Testing for 120V with all switches off should answer that question.

On the switch the "Red" and "Black" on the top are Neutral
No. Your drawing shows two switches. The red wire connected to one of them and the black wire connected to the other are feeders that conduct the switched power to two loads. One of those loads is your chandelier.

and "Black" wire is connected in serial with a Black (Hot) wire on the lower terminal.
The hot feed from the panel is connected to the second terminal on each of these switches.

The two white wires are joined together but are not connected to the switch.
Those are neutral conductors. One is the house neutral, from the panel. Since there are only two of them, the other should be in a 3-conductor cable with the black and red from the switches, which goes to the box for the chandelier.

If so. determine which wire on the chandelier is connected as neutral within the fixture. Splice that wire to the white wire in the box. Decide which of the two switches you would like to have control the chandelier. Splice the other chandelier wire to the red or black wire in the ceiling - whichever that switch has. Cap the other switched wire with a wire nut.

This switching and wiring is typically installed to allow separate controls for a ceiling fan with a light kit.

Old 10-30-13, 04:14 PM
Both the wires coming out of the chandelier looks exactly the same.

I assumed that "black" and "red" wires are hot wires but after testing the current on them (as suggested by you) found out that none of the wires are hot. No electricity on any of the 3 wires when the switch is on off position. When I turn on the switch to turn the chandelier on , the red shows current and when I turn on the other switch that turn the other light on the black cable shows current on it though the light is far away from the chandelier.

I tried connecting the chandelier with the "black" and "red" wires but the chandelier light starts to fluctuate when I turn it on.

So it is back to chandelier , connected to red and white wires and the washroom sockets dead.

Old 10-30-13, 04:48 PM
Red face Problem Solved

First of all , I would like to thanks everyone for helping me out.
The problem was with a switch in the powder room. It got tripped somehow during the chandelier installation. Both the sockets lost their power because of that. Soon I pressed the red button on the switch, all of them came live.

Thanks again and have a wonderful life.

Old 10-30-13, 04:54 PM
Glad you got it solved, and thanks for telling us what happened.

Old 10-30-13, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Soon I pressed the red button on the switch, all of them came live.
Do you mean GFCI receptacle? If so the power to the chandelier needs to be moved to the line side of the GFCI. However if the receptacle is in a bathroom and the chandelier isn't then the power source for the chandelier needs to be changed.