anchors holding old wiring in place

Old 10-29-13, 02:00 PM
anchors holding old wiring in place

I'd like to replace the wiring in my 100 yr old house. There is some K&T, but mostly the rubber/paper/asphalt coated stuff. Much of the coated wiring has anchors holding it in place somewhere up inside the wall. Is there any way to loosen these anchors without tearing the wall apart? Do I just leave the old cable sitting in there and try to fish new thru?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-13, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Unless you're opening the wall already, I'd disconnect and abandon.

Old 10-29-13, 02:14 PM
I'd like to replace the wiring in my 100 yr old house... Much of the... wiring has anchors holding it in place... inside the wall... Do I just leave the old cable sitting in there and try to fish new thru?
Yes. Old wiring can be abandoned inside framing if it is disconnected at both ends, cut back to be too short to be re-connected, and shoved back in the wall.

Removing existing boxes for switches and receptacles and using the opening to fish through is often a big help in doing this. Once the wiring is done, you install a new old-work box to hold the device(s).

This is the time, BTW, to do any upgrades you need: GFCIs where needed, AFCI almost everywhere else, a receptacle every 12 feet or less along walls and on every section of wall 2' or more wide, two dedicated 20A circuits w/GFCI for countertop appliances, two dedicated 20A circuits w/AFCI for appliances in the dining room, outdoor receptacles and lights, additional switches wherever you want them, etc.

Old 10-29-13, 02:25 PM
Oh, that's going to be awful. My dining room is 16 x 18 and only has one receptacle. Living room is almost as bad.

What about putting cable in from wall switch to ceiling fixture? Getting around that corner seems like it would be an exercise in frustration. I *can* do plaster/drywall etc. But I don't want to if I don't have to.

Old 10-29-13, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
K&T needs to go and you're likely going to have to bring the wiring up to current code, which Nash summarized pretty well for you.

It'll be good when you're done.

Old 10-29-13, 02:48 PM
K&T needs to go
In fact, K&T can be left in place and in service. Properly installed and used, it's grandfathered. However, you will probably find it easier to replace it than to meet all of the conditions for keeping it.

Old 10-29-13, 07:19 PM
What about putting cable in from wall switch to ceiling fixture? Getting around that corner seems like it would be an exercise in frustration. I *can* do plaster/drywall etc. But I don't want to if I don't have to.
Am I correct in assuming you are in the City and not the County? I don't suppose this would be a big 2 story brick house, would it? Anywhere you can work from the attic or basement will be a great advantage. I am afraid that to do rewiring from switches to many ceiling lights will require opening a few holes in the plaster. Good luck, you have quite a project ahead of you!

Old 10-29-13, 09:54 PM
My dining room is 16 x 18 and only has one receptacle. Living room is almost as bad.
Sounds like the house my ex and I bought in the early 80s. The living room and dining room - the front and rear parlors - measured 45' end-to-end. I think each had one receptacle.
It took a couple of evenings, but they wound up with 12 total receptacles, two sets of 3-way switches, data jacks and perimeter security, all hard to see, or invisible. The only wall openings were for devices.

Getting around that corner seems like it would be an exercise in frustration.
What is in that joint now? Crown molding? Two plane surfaces? What do you plan to have it look like in the future?

Think of the basement and the attic as your friends. Think vertical for wiring.