Hardwiring an Outdoor Irrigation Control Panel

Old 10-30-13, 12:09 AM
Hardwiring an Outdoor Irrigation Control Panel

Hello all, I would like to install an outdoor rated irrigation control panel (Orbit) on the front wall of my house. I want it to be mounted outside, against the wall, right under the window of the living room. The closest power source is a single gang box, non-GFCI receptacle (12-2 Romex) inside the house, on the same wall where I want install the panel. (This circuit is not connected to the kitchen nor dining room). I would prefer to do a “permanent” clean install where the plug would not be used (cut off), and the power cord would not be exposed, but hidden, directly spliced inside a junction box.

The Orbit instruction manual suggest the power cord cut to length, fished thru the hole at the bottom of the panel using a conduit nipple and into a conduit body where it is spliced into the circuit.

My plan (hopefully)* puts on flame suit *
As mentioned, because I want to splice into an existing receptacle/junction box inside the house, I will replace it bigger one that would satisfy the box fill requirements. I will then run 12-2 wire to new, flush mounted junction box on the outside wall. I will drill a hole in the back of the irrigation panel and install an anti-short bushing. I’ll cut the irrigation power cord to appropriate length and fish it thru this new hole and splice it with the 12-2 wire in the new junction box. The plastic irrigation panel will be mounted directly over the junction box and hopefully, also serve as a cover. I will use caulk as a gasket to weather-seal the install. The junction box is still accessible since 2 screws will pop the irrigation panel right off.

What do you guys think? I need your opinions and suggestions. Please steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Mike A.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-13, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The best solution is to extend the receptacle through the wall and install a GFCI receptacle and bubble in-use cover on the outside of the house and plug your irrigation system into it. That way you have a much-needed receptacle outside for other uses, while safely supplying the irrigation with power. May not be the ideal in your thinking, but overall it may kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Old 10-30-13, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Doesn't your Orbit controller use a wall wort power transformer? If so, you would need to make sure you use an enclosure large enough.

Old 10-30-13, 09:39 AM
Installing a GFCI outdoor receptacle the with a bubble cover is a great idea and I will be doing that too, but I am wondering if the plan I had is illegal? I'm really trying to avoid having this ugly 5 ft power cord exposed for cosmetic reasons, being that the only feasible install is in front of my house and unfortunately in plain sight.

Yes, it has a transformer and is nicely hidden inside the irrigation panel where the panel itself is weatherproof. The 5 foot power cord isn't shown in this pic but it comes out of a hole on the bottom left of the panel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20233[/ATTACH]

Mike A.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-13, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, you can't run a cord through a wall and include it in the wiring of the receptacle on the inside. I believe that is what you want to do.

Old 10-30-13, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
So build a nice redwood box and put the timer and receptacle in that.

Old 11-03-13, 02:21 PM
Advice taken, thank you.

Project completed. I ended up extending the inside receptacle to an outside box using a WR, TR, GFCI receptacle and a outdoor metal while-in-use covers. To rid of the clutter, I shortened the hideous 5 feet cord to 1 foot by cutting it to length, and then resoldering back on the power transformer. I may do the "redwood box" suggestion to match the house and help with camouflage in the future - thanks for that idea.

Mike

Old 11-03-13, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know how you did it.