Creating airflow in small space for electric project

Old 11-01-13, 04:39 AM
Creating airflow in small space for electric project

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble creating airflow for an electric project I'm working on:

For theatrical purposes I need a small felt mat that generates smoke from it's centre while it can be looked at from any angle. To do this, I've used an electronic cigarette and some subing that runs inside of the mat. I've altered the electronic cigarette somewhat, so that the button to activate the cigarette is replaced with a remote control (see attachment).
However, it turns out that the cigarette needs "drag" or airflow to produce good quality smoke and take it through the tubing to the centre of the mat (appr 50 cm in distance).
Do any of you know a good way to create airflow in such a small space (tubing inside a 9 mm thick neoprene mat) that is silent? (people will be watching from a few feet away)
If I use an automatic e-cigarette (this has a sensor that detects when the user is taking a puff) I could use the same setup to control the airflow instead of the button on the cigarette.
Thanks a lot for the input,
Gibrril

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google "smoke generator for model train".

Old 11-01-13, 05:01 AM
As Joe said, the model train smoke would be more user friendly. Some people, my wife included, would exit the moment they smelled anything like tobacco smoke. I have no idea what e-smoke smells like. Energy auditors use smoke pencils based upon train smoke as well.

As for moving the air, they make very small cooling fans for processor chips that are virtually silent.

Bud

Old 11-01-13, 05:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A fan out of an old lap top might work. Any place that repairs computer might have a cheap or free one.

Old 11-01-13, 05:42 AM
Some people, my wife included, would exit the moment they smelled anything like tobacco smoke.
I've seen one electronic cigarette, I believe it was a pipefitter who had it, I didn't notice any odor at all.

Old 11-01-13, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! (the odor is not really an issue, there a odor free cartridges and also some that come with "different" flavors like strawberry and vanilla...)
I've checked out the smoke generator for model trains, that looks like a good way to go aswell.
Would that solve my airflow issue?
Do any of you have experience with these things?
They seem small enough to fit, but are there heat issues? I liked the cigarette approach because I know the heat will "leak" outside of the cigarette...
Thanks a lot,
Gibrril

Old 11-01-13, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have any suggestions for airflow in such a small space. I did find some 17mm fans, that could be maybe put off to the side and reduced and tubed in as you were thinking.

The e-cigarettes are really only water vapor with (optionally) nicotine or other flavors dissolved in. A friend was using one, and the goal was to get to the point where it satisfied the physical habit of smoking while weaning off the nicotine habit.

Old 11-01-13, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I'm checking the model railway smoke generators right now!

Keep you posted!

Thanks,

Gibrril

Old 11-02-13, 02:50 PM
Hi, I'm back again!

It appears that model train smoke generators (according to some) produce smoke that will disappear to quickly (before it reaches the end of the tubing)
I'm looking at the cigarette once again, beacause I know the smoke can travel through as much as 70 cm of tubing (even straight up, with the cigarette on the floor and the tube running vertical) provided it gets pushed up (for which I used a little hand pump to test that out)

Yet I found these very interesting links:
SEPA micro fan SEPA HY_10A03A-ST (W x H x D) 10 x 10 x 2 mm Operating vo from Conrad Electronic UK

and:

SEPA micro fan SEPA MF_10A03A-ST (W x H x D) 10 x 10 x 2 mm Operating vo from Conrad Electronic UK

a tiny fan that could fit inside my mat...

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril