Outdoor wiring through brick walls and piers

Old 11-01-13, 09:00 AM
Outdoor wiring through brick walls and piers

Hi all,

I'm having brick walls, columns/piers (3) and stairs built and (as an afterthought) thought lighting would be nice. The wall originates from the corner of my garage where an unused outlet is relatively close.

A neighbor graciously gave me some outdoor rated, grey Romex type wire. However, I'm thinking I have to use electrical (grey pvc) conduit and THHN conductors.

I'm figuring on running the conduit from an appropriate fitting on the exterior garage wall and continuing through the walls and piers. The conduit/wiring will end at the hole in each limestone cap with a light and appropriate wiring base.

Attached are pics of what I envision.

Please feel free to post comments tips and thoughts.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The access cover will need to be accessible on the LB fitting shown. You cannot pull conductors through them with the cover on. A 90 degree elbow is a much better choice.

Old 11-01-13, 10:14 AM
PCboss, not sure I'm following and perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Here's another pic of what I'm thinking of doing. I'd like to feed the wire to the brick wall as cleanly as possible.

Thanks again.

(BTW, the 90 degree transitions shown on my original rendering would be 90 degree elbows and not the fitting shown)

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-13, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, that makes sense. I was concerned you were burying the LB fitting.

Old 11-01-13, 11:17 AM
OK. Do I need a similar fitting for the brick wall or can I simply run the conduit through a hole in the brick and seal with expanding foam or some other sealant?

Old 11-01-13, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The conduit needs to be a complete system between boxes. There should be no gaps in the piping.

Old 11-01-13, 11:46 AM
Quote: "The conduit needs to be a complete system between boxes. There should be no gaps in the piping."

Except at the top of the piers (as in my rendering) where I'm basically using the lamp base as a junction box so I can continue on to the next pier and light. Right?

Also, can I run the conduit through a hole in the brick and continue on (with the conduit) without using another fitting?

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2jPtSA1Ln

Old 11-01-13, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Unless the lamp base is rated for use as a junction box and has a proper knock-out for the conduit you must use a junction box.

Old 11-01-13, 11:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would set a box at the top of the pier so you have a box to contain the splices and also give you a means to mount the brackets for the fixtures. A round or octagonal box would work. Bring both conduits into knockouts on the bottom of the box.

How are you transitioning between the LB and the start of the conduit into the wall? Are you using an elbow out of the bottom of the LB?

Old 11-01-13, 12:14 PM
On the elbow question: Yes....like in this new pic. Does this look good to you? Can I use expanding foam as a sealant where the conduit goes through the brick?

(My paint talents are limited. The conduit would run horizontally within the wall after elbow 2 and not vertically)

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-13, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spray foam or mortar should be fine.

The back to back elbows should be fine. I am assuming you are installing the conduit at the top of the existing bricks so you can install the conduit.

Old 11-01-13, 02:31 PM
There's a cavity in the center of the brick wall where the conduit will fit.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-01-13, 05:42 PM
I would set a box at the top of the pier so you have a box to contain the splices and also give you a means to mount the brackets for the fixtures. A round or octagonal box would work. Bring both conduits into knockouts on the bottom of the box.
I am going to disagree, I think the OP has a good plan. I have seen post type fixtures mounted on top of masonry or limestome caps many times in commercial work and in some residential work as well. The fixture mount is where the slices are contained.

Old 11-02-13, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How do they secure the fixture?

Old 11-02-13, 08:43 AM
There are post-top type adapters readily available so that a post-top type fixture can mount within a few inches inches above the masonry, they bolt down to the surface with 4 bolts. I'll look later and see what I can find a link to post on here.

Didn't think I would find one this quick, but here are a couple anyone can buy without going through a supply house.

Design House Black Outdoor Lantern Pier Base-502211 at The Home Depot

Progress Lighting Black Exterior Lighting Pedestal Mount Accessory-P8726-31 at The Home Depot

Acclaim Lighting Pier Mount Adapters Collection Outdoor Burled Walnut Pier Mount-5999BW at The Home Depot

Last edited by CasualJoe; 11-02-13 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Found Post-Top Adapters
Old 11-02-13, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks CJ, I had never seen any of those.