Passing water & gas grounds thru Sub-Panel OK?

Old 11-01-13, 09:37 AM
Passing water & gas grounds thru Sub-Panel OK?

I saw from the sub-panel diagram sticky a similar setup to what I would like to do, but not exactly the same. My current main panel is fed from a burried conduit run that goes 20ft around the outside of my house from the service drop. I am upgrading to 200A and I have to increase the conduit size. Rather than replace the current conduit (50% of which is under a patio) I would like to run through my conditioned crawlspace to the same panel location.

I would do this by adding an exterior 200A main just below the meter and feeding a sub panel via a conduit run through the conditioned crawlspace. I will have two GECs outside near the meter that will feed into the main where they are bonded to the service neutral, but I am also required to bond the water and gas lines. My question is if I can connect the water and gas lines to the grounded bus bar in the sub panel and use a single #4 copper conductor from the sub to the main to connect the ground, or if I have to individually connect the water line and the gas line directly to the main.

Here is one of Ray's awesome diagrams edited to show what I'm going for:

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The grounding and bonding should take place all in the service panel.

Old 11-01-13, 10:28 AM
The only guy whose opinion counts is the guy who signs off on the permit. Ask your inspector.

I'd rather see the #4 not run in the pipe. With a ground inside the pipe. And connections done like pcboss said. But what you propose isn't terrible.

Old 11-01-13, 04:21 PM
But what you propose isn't terrible.
It's not terrible, but it isn't continuous to the main panel either, which it needs to be. I Also go with what Pcboss says.

Rather than replace the current conduit (50% of which is under a patio) I would like to run through my conditioned crawlspace to the same panel location.
I assume that this is a new meter location. Has your power company blessed this new location. Some power companies have very strict rules on meter location.