Old condo new dishwasher. No ground?

Old 11-01-13, 11:35 AM
Old condo new dishwasher. No ground?

In Alberta, Canada.

We had an old broken dishwasher pulled out and got the new one delivered. I've been reading through the instructions and the wiring is the only thing I'm having an issue with.

The wiring coming out of the hole in the wall seems to only extend for a few inches, the power junction (not sure if the right term) box on the dishwasher is at the front of the dishwasher away from the wall. So the wiring will need to be extended somehow. Not sure what should be done here.

I don't see a ground (green) wire. Just a black and white. The white wire is a twisted one, you can see it without a cap in one of the first zoomed out pics of the wires. Everything I've read says that a ground is really important for dishwashers. What's the proper way of addressing this?

Some pics of the wiring. There's a few of the dishwasher stuff that's not important to the wiring. If more pics are required I can take some.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0az9mkdxjboovjc/1tozb__w0_

edit: Forgot to mention the old dishwasher is already gone and I'm unsure how that was wired so I don't have a reference.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Install a receptacle at the wall and put a cord set on the dishwasher. Grounds are for safety not function. If the wall box is metal it may be grounded. You can check that with a multimeter.

Old 11-01-13, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like you might have a conduit system that is providing the ground. Adding your location to your profile would help us provide better guidance.

It is going to be hard to add a receptacle to the round plaster ring. Was a blank plate with a knockout on the front used with the old DW?

Old 11-01-13, 12:52 PM
I mentioned I'm in Alberta, Canada at the top of my post. The building is pretty old.

I don't think there was anything else on the old dishwasher near the wall. Just wires from what I recall.

Old 11-01-13, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, I missed that. I looked near your name.

Can you confirm if your wiring is in pipes leaving the panel?

Old 11-02-13, 08:36 AM
No problem.

As for the wiring I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Basically all that's there is in the pictures. There isn't any additional extended wires from those wall wires to the dishwasher yet.

If you're asking about wires coming into the wall receptacle I'm not sure. The thing in the wall doesn't budge so I can't check around it.

Old 11-02-13, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was asking if you saw a pipe leaving your electrical panel. The blue conductor has me believing you have a conduit that is providing the grounding. Blue conductors are not a typical cable component.

Old 11-02-13, 08:56 AM
I'm in a condo apartment so the breaker panels are public, I can open the case of the panel but I can't actually see any wiring. I'm not able to take off the panel to see the wiring underneath.

Old 11-02-13, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
With a multimeter measure from the caped black wire to the metal box. If you get 120 volts the the box is your ground.

Old 11-07-13, 02:13 PM
Thanks. Got myself a multimeter and checked. There is a 120V reading from the Black to the box.

So if the box is good for my grounding wire I've got to figure out a way to actually make that connection. There isn't a green grounding screw.

I've got some suggestions from others that for wiring I can screw a metal cover with a knockout onto the wall. But I'm not sure what type of wires I will be using after that. The guy at the hardware store suggested this type: http://i.imgur.com/wtYZGO9.jpg the one on the right, has black, white and a bare wire for ground. Would that be the proper wire to use between the wall and the dishwasher?

Old 11-07-13, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, armored cable would be fine. Personally I'd put a receptacle in the box and a cord set on the DW.

If the box does not have a taped 10-32 hole you can use a ground clip or drill a hole and use a self tapping ground screw.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-07-13 at 04:02 PM.