240V 50A Circuit Advice

Old 11-02-13, 06:43 PM
240V 50A Circuit Advice

I have an outdoor 2008 Marquis Epic Hot tub (240V, 50A hardwire) that was professionally installed in January. The tub is connected to a 50A spa disconnect via 10 LF of 6/3 with a #8 ground. The disconnect is connected to the panel via 35 LF of 6/3 with a #8 ground.

I inspected the tub today, and noticed the pumps were not running. After a little digging, I noticed to the tub was only running on the 120V setting. After throwing the spa disconnect and the main breaker, I checked the main panel of the tub and noticed that the mounting block had partially melted at the "red" hot leg connection. Neither of the breakers tripped (disconnect or main panel). I have had no issues with the tub since I bought it in 2008, and no issues with the current install.

I have a couple of different questions on this:
  1. Could this have been due to a lightning strike? We had a storm earlier this week. It seems odd that this would be the only issue, but proximity strikes cause some weird things to happen.
  2. Should I have the house voltage checked? The house was built in 2012, and I have replaced almost 20% of the light bulbs in the house due to burn outs.

The home has a one year warranty, so my first thought is to have the original electrician make any necessary repairs.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-13, 06:56 PM
I checked the main panel of the tub and noticed that the mounting block had partially melted at the "red" hot leg connection. Neither of the breakers tripped (disconnect or main panel).
This sounds like a poor or loose connection. The typical breaker will only trip on either overload or a short to ground. I'd say you had neither, just a very overheated lug. If either of the breakers is a GFCI breaker you obviously didn't have a ground fault of any kind.

Old 11-02-13, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If the original electrician made that connection and if your warranty covers his or her work, by all means ask them to come back and check it out.

It sounds like you bought this hot tub in 2008 and had it disconnected, moved to a new house, and re-installed last January. If so, anything could have happened in that process, including, for example, a hairline crack in the terminal block.

Let us know what you learn.