Breaker Tripping Problem

Old 11-04-13, 11:06 AM
Breaker Tripping Problem

Hi all,

My son recently bought a house and as part of the purchase, he required that the old breaker panel (Zenco), be replaced. The prior owner hired a licensed electrician to do the work and he replaced the panel with a Siemens. After the close, we found that one GFI circuit breaker would trip when any load was placed on it at any outlet. When I used a plug-in tester at each grounded socket, the circuit tested good on it. I wondered if it was a bad breaker, so my son had the electrician come back to check his work and he said the breaker tested good.

Since it wasn't his work that was the problem (it could have been that way with the old panel), he suggested we check the wiring at each outlet and maybe replace them. I was wondering if anyone had seen a similar problem with the outlets testing good, yet the breaker trips with any load.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-13, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I would suspect a loose connection somewhere and start taking a look at all the receptacles on the circuit.

Old 11-04-13, 11:25 AM
It's a connection somewhere that needs to be improved. I would go to the first receptacle in the circuit and disconnect all wires feeding out until I got the breaker to hold with that one, then add the feed-out wires and move down the circuit.

See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light,. The tips are the same for live receptacles.

Old 11-04-13, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the replies. We'll start checking all the receptacles as suggested and hopefully, I'll be able to report back that we found and fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-13, 03:01 PM
we found that one GFI circuit breaker would trip when any load was placed on it at any outlet.
What was the load that tripped the breaker?

Old 11-04-13, 05:18 PM
Just about any load. Box fan, battery charger for power tools and a floor lamp.

Old 11-04-13, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
If you have another GFCI circuit breaker of the same size switch the wires between the two and see if the problem moves to the new circuit breaker.

Old 11-12-13, 12:55 PM
Over the weekend, I was able to troubleshoot the receptacles on the breaker. One receptacle was linked to two other ones, and by trial and error, I was able to find out which one was bad. It appears that the neutral is grounded out as my ohm meter shows a connection between the neutral and ground wires with the other end of the neutral wire disconnected. So the solution for now was to disconnect that line and we now have the use of the 3 other ones on the breaker. Next spring, we can pull a new line or just close off that receptacle as there are others close to it.

Thanks again for the help as it's nice to have some guidance before troubleshooting a problem.