Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

12v auto lights to plug into 110v home wall outlet? Parts and process?

Old 11-07-13, 01:51 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I have an auto old grill with headlights and turn signals off of the Jeep CJ that I drove way back in hi school and I would like to hang on the wall in my workshop and convert the lights on the grill to have a switch and plug into a 110v wall outlet. I'm thinking I will need to buy a converter and would like to also know they type of switch and a general idea of how to wire this up?
Thanks!
Dan

Old 11-07-13, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You'll need a 12V converter that will handle the amps needed...which might be a little pricy. Headlights draw a lot more than most people think...prob 10-14 amps on low beam. A DC P/S from somewhere like Radio Shack would work. Of course you can find all sorts of stuff on Ebay...but most are designed to be in an enclosure of some sort.

Have you thought about converting to LEDs since it's just for decoration? You could probably power them off a cheap wall wart type supply and use a switch that plugs in to the outlet. Probably get it done for $20-30.

Old 11-07-13, 04:26 PM
D
A transformer would probably be less expensive than a DC power supply. The headlights will run fine one 12 volts AC. You will need as stated about 20 amps or more with two headlamps on

Old 11-07-13, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Standard old style sealed beam headlights are around 55 watts or about 4-1/2 amps.
Turn signal bulbs, like the 1157 dual filament, are around 25 watts in brake/flasher mode or 8 watts in parking light mode.

A 12v outdoor lighting transformer would work good. One in the link below is 200 watts.
Hampton Bay 12V Low Voltage 200 Watt Transformer-HD22772 at The Home Depot

Old 11-09-13, 06:48 AM
S
Thank you all for the feedback! This sets me off now to do some reading and pricing on the parts you suggested. Regards, Dan

Old 11-09-13, 02:40 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Honestly, I don't understand why someone would want to do this but to each his own. I do want to point out that these lights will be bright if run on 12 volts. I would probably use a six volt transformer and get only a warm glow from the lights. You could also connect the headlights in series and still use a 12 volt landscape lighting transformer.

Oh, one thing about a landscape lighting transformer, most are not listed for indoors use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: