electric supply house in Minnesota?

Old 11-08-13, 04:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electric supply house in Minnesota?

I have seen a few people on here are from Minnesota!

I'm closing on my construction loan on Monday and would like to get all my electric ordered soon. Can anyone suggest a supply house to send my build sheet to rather than sending it to the Home Depot or Menards? Keep in mind I am not a contractor and need to find someplace that will deal with me the homeowner directly.

Old 11-08-13, 05:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If your state works like mine just get a DBA and tax number and you should be good to go. Some supply houses here aren't set up to handle sales tax or prefer not to. With a DBA and tax number you are just another company not a home owner.

Old 11-08-13, 06:27 PM
Received 175 Upvotes on 158 Posts
Can anyone suggest a supply house to send my build sheet to rather than sending it to the Home Depot or Menards?
By build sheet, do you mean you have a specific list of materials or are you assuming the supply house will do a material takeoff for you? This is something the contractor usually does, are you planning on doing the electrical work all yourself? I can't tell you for sure the pricing that you as an individual will get at a supply house, but you would probably get better pricing at a big box. I can assure you that the supply house will not give you the same pricing as their long term volume customers.

Old 11-08-13, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
I'd send the list to the big boxes too. I'm an electrician and have noticed the supply houses are putting the smaller jobs aside or not even bothering to quote them.

Are you actually doing your own wiring ?

Old 11-08-13, 07:00 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a full material list I have put together. Yes, I am wiring the house myself. I have the list at Home Depot in their "bid room" along with our kitchen and interior doors. My father has a company that we'll use to apply for an account, I am just looking for any suggestions as which supply houses to look into.

Old 11-08-13, 09:44 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I am just looking for any suggestions as which supply houses to look into.
Those of us who've never lived or worked in Minnesota have difficulty determining the reputation of a local supplier there.

That said, which do you have to choose from? Which of those have you, your father or your friends in the trades heard good things about?

I'd send the list to the big boxes too. I'm an electrician and have noticed the supply houses are putting the smaller jobs aside or not even bothering to quote them.
I just paid more than double for a panelboard I wanted at a supply house because the Big Box couldn't get it here in time. Don't overlook them.

Old 11-09-13, 05:04 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Electrical Supplies

Are any of these locations near you?

https://www.vikingelectric.com/webap...atalogId=10251

If not, check your local yellow pages.

Old 11-09-13, 05:54 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Graingers?

Old 11-09-13, 07:29 AM
Here are a couple, but don't overlook the smaller regional suppliers. Sometimes they have the best prices and are more willing to work with a DIYer. I still think you'll get better pricing from a big box since you are not an established customer of the supply houses.

Crescent Electric Supply Company

Graybar Location Finder

Old 11-09-13, 01:47 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Although they do carry a large line of electrical equipment Grainger is NOT an electrical supplies distributor. For the most part their prices are outrageous on electrical supplies.

Old 11-09-13, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
We have a CED (Consolidated Electrical Distribution) here in my small town and in conversations with the guy, I pay the same as a contractor does...I just don't get the delivery and credit options they do. Maybe on a big order I would...never asked.

I know he's about 10-15% less on things like ballasts and bulbs than HD. Not a huge deal for a few at a time...esp w/ my 10% military discount at HD, but he has a lot more options and knowledge.

HD has a "bid room"? Things must have changed since I worked there. What is that exactly?

Old 11-09-13, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 707 Upvotes on 600 Posts
I'm a little late to the thread but being from MN I think I might be the most help.

We get our material from Viking Electric because they have a few locations around the Twin Cities, Duluth, Brainard and elsewhere. Other suppliers in the TC is Graybar, and Boarder States Elec. (I have never seen Crescent) The thing is while Viking will sell to a homeowner, you will not get the "contractor" prices.

We shop at Viking because they carry commercial equipment (three phase)that you can not get at the big box. They also do carry other products that you can not find at the big box.

Here's the rub: A lot of the time the prices you find at the big box store is the same or better than we can get at the supply house. Especially if you catch it on sale (Menard's just had their 11% rebate sale) The big exception is cut wire.

I do know that "big orange" will pick an order for you if you give them a list. I suspect others will as well.

Old 11-09-13, 04:31 PM
Good comments and explanation Tolyn. The box stores don't stock anywhere close to the items at a supply house. Ever try to order a Caddy stud bracket, a 320 amp meter socket, a 3" Milbank hub or even 4/0 XHHW aluminum from HD or Menard's? Ask about 400 MCM THHN or 600 MCM XHHW and you'll really get a confused look.

HD has a "bid room"?
I didn't know that either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: