What type of junction box for 16 gauge wires?

Old 11-09-13, 01:57 PM
What type of junction box for 16 gauge wires?

I am hooking up some motion activated lights. There is some low voltage 16 gauge wiring that I need to wire together so that if one senses motion, they all go on. I have the wire on the inside of my garage going up through the drywall toward the ceiling. Up close to the ceiling, I am going to bring the wire out of the drywall and run it outside, perpendicular to the studs.

What type of setup should I use where the wire is going to come out of the drywall? Put a old-work junction box in? Or just secure a junction box on the outside of the wall over the hole? The 16 gauge wire is so small, I am used to using junction boxes with romex.

Any tips on best way to do this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-13, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The low voltage cable may not be legal to install in the wall. Does the cable have any labeling on it?

Old 11-09-13, 08:52 PM
The answer you get here is going to be the same as in the other form where you ask the same question. You already heard that the wiring cannot be inside of a wall. You should probably also mention here that it's not really low-voltage, it's 120 V! That means like you've already found out you must use either 14 or 12 gauge wire to meet code requirements. 16 gauge is not code legal for 120 V wiring which if you already know is not low-voltage!

Old 11-10-13, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It seems there is information we aren't privy to, so we need to know all about this, including what you consider "low" voltage. In residential settings you have LINE voltage, which is normally 120 volts. Fill us in on the details so we can give better answers. The information given is rock solid, so there is no question, there.

Old 11-10-13, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the discussion from another forum that fills in some more details.

What Type Of Junction Box For 16 Gauge Wire? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Old 11-10-13, 07:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oooh, glad I asked.........................

Old 11-11-13, 08:19 AM
How do I determine what voltage it is? It doesn't say anywhere... is it assumed that the light doesn't transform the voltage? I could use my multimeter and check it out I suppose?

Old 11-11-13, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
is it assumed that the light doesn't transform the voltage?i
If there was a transformer built into the light then it would be the voltage supplied to the light not the voltage at the bulb. We are working in the dark here. Make and model number of the lights you are working with, please.

Old 11-11-13, 09:15 AM
Unless the fixture states otherwise chances are it's designed for line voltage (120 V) one way to check is to see what kind of bulb is specified for use in it. Using a multimeter really won't help because you have no way of knowing if it's wired correctly.

Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
The majority of the motion sensors built (and all the ones I've worked with) send 120v out on the red wire to activate the lights.

The motion detector modules only have three wires on them.
Black = 120vac in
White = neutral
Red = 120 vac switched to local bulbs and to remote fixture.

If the red wire put out low voltage.... the lights in that fixture won't light properly.