Electrical box - distance from floor

Old 11-10-13, 04:40 PM
Electrical box - distance from floor

Our contractor installed three LED strip lights in our hallway, and put the box holding the driver and wires in the master bedroom.

Unfortunately he installed the box really low (pic below) - the bottom of the box is only about 4'' off the floor. In addition to being annoying since we can't screw in a plate over it since the baseboard is in the way, is this also against code? (We're in CA)

Thanks in advance.
Katy

Name:  ledbox.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  30.4 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-13, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe it's against code but it certainly wasn't the best place to put it.

Old 11-10-13, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The code does not mandate any minimum heights for boxes. This just looks like poor planning. I would trim one side of the plate and be done with it.

Old 11-11-13, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I only see a couple of options. Cut into the baseboard to allow a cover plate to be installed, or cut the bottom of the cover place, ever so carefully, to fit.
I had a similar situation once, with 5 1/2" speedbase and an ill placed phone box.

Name:  Image000.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  30.0 KB

Old 11-11-13, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
If the cable comes from above I'd move the box up. Not easy but you only need to move the box up three eighths of an inch. Once the box is out a piece of Sheetrock can be maneuvered in to the hole and glued to the back of the Sheetrock with construction adhesive to cover 3/8" of the bottom of the original opening.. Then an old work box installed and the space between the box and the baseboard filled with sparkle. The plate covers the sparkle so it just has to be level and smooth.

Old 11-11-13, 08:01 AM
Thanks all for your responses. Best case scenario I am hoping to convince the contractor to move the box up to the height of the outlets so everything looks tidy (the cable does come from above). Thought I'd have more ammo to get him to do something if it was breaking code - doh!

Otherwise will move to Plan B with your other suggestions. Thank you!

Old 11-11-13, 01:09 PM
If the telephone cable comes from above the box then DIYing the job is simple. Mark out the preferred location for the box, decide if you want to use a standard "old work" box or a "low-voltage" frame (I prefer the full box as it is more rigid) and cut the appropriate hole. Disconnect the cable from the old terminal and pull it up to the new location, thread it through the new box or frame and then install the box or frame as normal. Reconnect the terminal.

Then cut a couple of pieces of wood about 2-3 inches (more or less) wider than the hole to repair and about 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide. A new paint stirring stick is about the right size and easy to find. Using some quick setting adhesive, I use a hot-melt glue gun, glue one stick inside the top of the hole so that both ends overlap the hole (inside) and the top of the stick half-laps the top of the hole. Do the same at the bottom of the hole. Let the adhesive attain full strength.

Now you have some options. If the wall is textured use a hook scraper to remove the texture for about two inches all around the hole. Take the piece of drywall from the new hole you cut and scrape off all the texture and then cut it to fit loosely in the old hole. Using the same adhesive as before glue this piece into the hole and let the adhesive harden. Use drywall mud on the edges and smooth some paper drywall tape into the mud, squeezing out about 98% of the mud and let it harden. Do a second coat of the mud and feather it into the surrounding drywall and again let it harden. Do whatever sanding is necessary to make this smooth and then use a can of spray wall texture to add the texture, blending it into the existing texture. Let everything harden up for a day or two and then repaint.

Old 11-11-13, 07:32 PM
It looks like that LED Driver power supply was meant to be plugged in and not hardwired as I see a figure 8 power cord with the plug cut off in the first and second pictures
if so you really should buy a product that was actually meant to be hardwired as that is a code violation and voids the UL label

Old 11-11-13, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with CB, I also think I see low voltage wires in the same box as high voltage.