Hard wiring a diswasher, using garbage disposal circuit

Old 02-24-01, 06:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Hard wiring a dishwasher, using garbage disposal circuit

I am going to be installing a dishwasher in a kitchen where there was not one before. My question is; it common to tie into the garbage disposal circuit, providing the wiring is compatible and the circuit can handle the load?

Old 02-24-01, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
According to 422-62-a...Yes

Old 02-24-01, 05:07 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
As long as this branch circuit does not contain kitchen, dining, nook, pantry, bathroom, laundry receptacles, and this branch cirucit is rated at a minimum of 20 amp then yes you are allowed to run both the dishwasher and the garbage disposal on the same circuit. This is allowed only if the Authority having Jurisdiction rules that the garbage disposal will not run long enough to be considered affecting this 20 amp circuit. This rule allowing both appliances to be on the same 20 amp circuit but only with the approval of the Electrical Inspector is found in article 220-21. The previous reply stated an article by mistake that does not apply. The article mentioned in the previous reply, 422-62, pretains only to the marking of a name plate required on equipment. This article does not apply to branch circuit design.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 02-24-01, 05:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My appologies Side Job, i should know to put the book down when i'm that tired.

Wg, where do i find the 50% for "fixed apliances"? that is were i was heading...

Old 02-24-01, 06:37 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Wirenuts, I believe that the the article you were looking for is article 210-23-A. However I question the use of this article of mixing more than one utilization units together under this garbage disposal and dishwasher because of the load applied from the dishwasher. A dishwasher contains a 1250 watt heater and a 1/3 horse power motor in most dishwashers. The normal expected load of a built in dishwasher is usually around 1500 to 2000 watts. This would be well above the 50% rating limitations in Article 210-23-A. The only Code section that I know that can apply but only with the graces of the Authority Having Jurisdiction is the non-coincidental loads mentioned in the prior reply. Look at the name plate ratings of a few dishwashers and see if I am remembering right before you take these thoughts to heart. I AM GETTING OLD YOU KNOW, turned 50 last July. Keep that a deep secrete between you and I though.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 02-25-01, 03:48 AM
Visiting Guest
No aurgument here Wg, i've been at this 20 yrs myself, and still can't seem to find what i'm after in the NEC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: