Advice needed - outdoor junction box

Old 11-11-13, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed - outdoor junction box

I just purchased an old brick 1950's home that has a new 200 amp breaker box. It is supplying one circuit into the home to the fuse box.
I would like to bring in new circuits for new lighting and new receptacles from the breaker box, but unfortunately there is no access where I can feed new romex cables from the breaker box into the home.

I would like to mount a large enough junction enclosure on the outside eve of the attic and run an emt pipe from the breaker box to the new junction box. Then run multiple romex cabling to the junction box through the attic.

Question - When I run the romex cabling into the rear part of the junction box. How should I secure the cabling to the box. Should I just make some holes or should I use some kind of clamps to secure the cabling. Or one big hole in the back of the box.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 09:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would like to mount a large enough junction enclosure on the outside eve of the attic and run an emt pipe from the breaker box to the new junction box. Then run multiple romex cabling to the junction box through the attic.
Conduit outside is considered a wet involvement. Romex can not be run in a wet environment. I'd suggest a subpanel below where you want to enter the attic supplied by four individual THWN wires from the main panel. From the subpanel you can run conduit into the attic and use UF-b cable for each circuit. You can transition to NM-b (Romex) after entering the attic.

Old 11-11-13, 10:01 PM
Junction Box for Romex

I would suggest you run a conduit up the exterior and install an LB condulet and run short run of conduit into the attic to your junction box. I would not run romex in the conduit, you should run multiple circuits using individual conductors (THWN-cu) to your junction box and then splice to your romex. You can run a few extra circuit to the attic j-box and cap for future use. Just remember conduit fill, conductor ampacity and derating for conduit fill depending on how many circuits you need. Your j-box can then be a NEMA-1 with 1/2" KO's and you can terminate your romex using standard romex box connectors.
sorry Ray did'nt see your post, you beat me to it.

Old 11-11-13, 10:42 PM
I would suggest you run a conduit up the exterior and install an LB condulet and run short run of conduit into the attic to your junction box.

Let me get this correct. The junction box would be in the attic and not outside and the only thing that will be visible from the outside would be the emt from the main breaker panel.
Is it ok to have the junction box in the attic?
This would look nicer than what I was thinking!

Old 11-11-13, 10:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, it is okay to have the junction box in the attic so long as it remains accessible.

Old 11-12-13, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Let me get this correct. The junction box would be in the attic and not outside and the only thing that will be visible from the outside would be the emt from the main breaker panel.
Yes. EMT can be used outside, but a liquid-tight conduit is usually preferable. If you do decide to use EMT, be sure to assemble it with compression connectors and couplings.

Originally Posted by bahtah
Just remember conduit fill, conductor ampacity and derating for conduit fill depending on how many circuits you need.
For these reasons, multiple runs of smaller conduit are usually preferable to only one or two runs of larger conduit.

Old 11-12-13, 07:19 PM
Looks like I have a solid plan now. With your suggestions, its going to look like professionals did the work.

You guys ROCK!
ray2047
bahtah
Nashkat1

Thanks for your help.
Paulie