Closet lighting.

Old 11-12-13, 02:16 PM
Closet lighting.

The light in my closets are basic porceline bulb holders (the exposed kind that mount directly to a electrical box and has screw terminals).

I have a feeling those are no longer allowed in cloth closets. If I replace one can it be the same or does it techincally have to be a different kind?

If it makes any difference CF bulbs are used in these.....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 02:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with that type of fixture. The question is, where is it mounted? How close is it to anything flammable?

Old 11-12-13, 02:21 PM
They are in the ceiling , say 2 feet about where clothes are hung. A friend told me that he was not able to use that type of fixture in his closets because an inspector told him it was aagainst code.

Old 11-12-13, 02:27 PM
If your closet has a shelf above the hanger rod, or could have, you should install a strip fluorescent fixture.

They are in the ceiling , say 2 feet about where clothes are hung.
The measurement that matters is the direct measurement from the closest point of the bulb to the closest flammable object.

A friend told me that he was not able to use that type of fixture in his closets because an inspector told him it was against code.
All codes is local. If that's what a local inspector said, than that's the rule in your jurisdiction.

Old 11-12-13, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can not have an exposed bulb in a closet.

Old 11-12-13, 02:34 PM
Can not have an exposed bulb in a closet.
In new construction and remodels requiring a permit, but you can if it's grandfathered in.

If it makes any difference CF bulbs are used in these.....
That's a good precaution. It does not, however, satisfy code requirements since that could be replaced with any other screw-in bulb.

Old 11-12-13, 02:42 PM
In new construction and remodels requiring a permit, but you can if it's grandfathered in.
Technically, I always assumed if something is 'grandfathered' that if you replace it then it should be up to current code.... for example 2 prong outlets or gfci's where required.

My friend had to put recessed lighting in I believe to satisfy the closet lighting.

Old 11-12-13, 04:12 PM
For $10 - $15 you can pick up a plain fixture with a glass cover on it. If not to meet code, replace it for your own piece of mind. Nobody pays attention to crap rubbing up against a closet light.

HAMPTON BAY | Flush Mount Fixture With 6 In. White Opal Glass | Home Depot Canada

Old 11-12-13, 04:13 PM
My friend had to put recessed lighting in I believe to satisfy the closet lighting.
Closet lighting is not required to be recessed by the NEC. Like Nash says, "All Codes Are Local".

Old 11-12-13, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Even a recessed can can not have an exposed bulb. A can would need to have a shower type trim ring installed.

Best thing to do is either install a florescent strip/light there, or a light that has a glass cover.

Old 11-12-13, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A bare bulb porcelain fixture has not been allowed in a closet for many code cycles. The hazard is combustible materials touching a hot bulb.

They do make cfl sockets that screw to the box.

Old 11-12-13, 05:06 PM
If you already have the porcelain fixture then consider these:

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=724981

They are cfl only, 13 watt, and are a direct replacement. It's much easier than putting in a strip light, just remove and replace.

My local supply house has them MUCH cheaper.

Old 11-12-13, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fixtures in the link are the ones I was speaking of in my post. Thanks for the link.