Need help installing new cooktop

Old 11-14-13, 01:07 PM
Need help installing new cooktop

I am replacing a GE Custom 36 (controls on vent/hood) with a 30" Kenmore cooktop. The existing harness is much more complex than I anticipated. Instead of tearing up the back wall to get to the wiring I'm considering leaving one burner control on high and connecting the blue and black wires (plus green) that appear hot to the new cooktop with red, white, black and green on the Kenmore. Is this a good idea and what colors do I connect? Tried unsuccessfully to post pix. Thanks in advance!
Electrically Challenged

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your new appliance requires a 120/240 volt circuit with all the wires connected. What voltage was the old circuit? What was the ampacity? What ampacity does the new unit require?

Old 11-14-13, 04:53 PM
I'm considering leaving one burner control on high and connecting the blue and black wires (plus green) that appear hot to the new cooktop
Are you saying the only wires from the wall are blue, black and green?

I'm not sure about your comment, "leaving one burner control on high", what do you mean by that?

Old 11-15-13, 06:50 PM
Wires from the wall are 1 orange, 4 black, 2 blue 1 red, 1 green.
In order to get any juice to the harness, I have to turn one of the old burner control knobs on. Somewhere possibly behind the hood/wall there is a junction box that I am reluctant to try to access because I think I have to open the wall behind the hood.
I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to post pics but I'll try again. Not sure if pics will post.

Old 11-15-13, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Wires from the wall are 1 orange, 4 black, 2 blue 1 red, 1 green.
Are you sure this is the house wiring. Way too many wires even for three phase. How many two pole breakers feed this?

Last edited by ray2047; 11-15-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 07:10 PM
In order to get any juice to the harness, I have to turn one of the old burner control knobs on.
If the old cooktop has been removed, how would leaving one of the old burner control knobs on make any difference? Is this old cooktop part of a larger range unit? Are you just replacing the cooking surface of a larger appliance?

Old 11-15-13, 07:29 PM
The cooktop controls are on the hood above the counter. The old cooktop has been removed revealing a harness that connects to the hood. This harness has 1 orange, 4 black, 2 blue 1 red, 1 green wires on the female connector. Each burner control knob on the hood controlled power to the to separate coils on the cooktop below. Now for me to get any power it would be via the hood controls. I wish I know how to post pictures.
Two 50 amp breakers feed this.

Old 11-15-13, 08:53 PM
Still trying to post pics. Think I got it!!!

Attached Images     
Old 11-15-13, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Are you saying the new cooktop doesn't have its own controls?

Old 11-16-13, 12:29 AM
The new cooktop has its own controls so I just need a constant source of power but I'm trying not to tear up the wall to find the house power. My thinking is that if I turn on the power for one burner (via one of the 4 knobs from the hood), I can connect those particular wires to the new cooktop. Each knob on the hood controlled heat to each burner. I plan to use the same hood and I still need juice to it to turn the vent and light.

Old 11-16-13, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are going to need to supply power directly to the cook top. The old controls will not be used.

Old 11-16-13, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
I can connect those particular wires to the new cooktop. Each knob on the hood controlled heat to each burner. I plan to use the same hood and I still need juice to it to turn the vent and light.
But that would be wrong, probably a code violation, void the warranty on your new cooktop, and violate the UL rating. No not the way. There is surely a way to open the hood to get to the connections without tearing up the walls. There had to be to connect power to it. What is in the cabinet above the hood?

Replacing the hood may be the only option if you still want a working hood. It is unlikely the existing hood can be powered safely from a 50 amp breaker so you may need to run a new power source from a proper size breaker to the hood's fan. All and all replacing the hood may be best/simplest.

Can you post a make and model number for the old cooktop or an online link to the manual for it.

Old 11-20-13, 05:34 PM
Thank you to all of you who responded to my plea for help. Ultimately, I took Ray 2047's advice and bought a new hood. Removal of the old hood allowed me to access the house power and made wiring much more basic. The project is done and the wife is very happy. Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING and GOD BLESS!
Lloyd

Old 11-20-13, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it done. Thanks for letting us know.