Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

where can I find these mounting rings and what are they called?

Old 11-15-13, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Name:  rusted mounting rings.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  45.9 KB

These mounting rings are on the inside of the nema box on my italian beer filter (yes, I work at a brewery). I sure hope that image comes through. Ive contacted the manufacturer and he knows nothing about the rings or how to replace them. Our electrician doesn't have a clue either. I find it hard to believe that they are so difficult to source. Any recommendations? If i knew what they were called, I could search and order some. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
That isn't a commonly used electrical part. It almost looks like they weren't really intended to be used like they are there.

They do seem vaguely familiar. They almost look like they would be used in floor box installation. I've been checking around for you.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-15-13 at 02:18 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 11-15-13, 01:51 PM
I'm failing to understand what purpose that ring serves.
Does it squish down a big o ring or something?
Could you possibly take a picture of where this piece mounts?

Old 11-15-13, 05:05 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Some better pictures of the application and dimensions too please.

Old 11-17-13, 10:22 AM
Here are some more pictures.

Its a waterproof clear box. The rings are on the inside holding the waterproof switch covers not he outside. You can see the black gasket from the inside that is actually on the outside. It needs to be pulled tight against the box and the rings screwed from the inside serve this purpose. The rings are failing and allowing water in where the gaskets should be tight. I hope the pictures are coming through. This is hard to tell from this end.

Old 11-17-13, 10:33 AM
picture attempt again

trying to get these pictures uploaded again.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-13, 10:39 AM
second picture

will try this one separately. see if it works now after taking a screen shot and uploading it from that. Not sure why the pictures are so difficult but I think it is working this way. Make more sense now?

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-13, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why don't you just take one of the rings to a machine shop and have them duplicate it? You can take the measurements and do the drawings yourself even. I recently found a pretty cool website that allows you to do just that. You do the design, specify the material and finish, and submit it. You immediately get a quote and place your order. eMachineShop.com

Old 11-17-13, 12:16 PM
Sounds cool. We have a good machine shop near us here. They have a $70 minimum which wouldn't be a big deal at this point. But I have to believe these are something off the shelf I should be able to get somewhere. Maybe in stainless so it doesn't rot. I found a temporary fix to buy me some time. I will send a picture. It may help narrow down what the rings are.

Old 11-17-13, 12:22 PM
temporary fix

These are ceiling fan rings. 2 of the holes line up. Maybe the ones I seek are some component of a ceiling fan bracket? one of my brewers came up with this this morning. Smart guy. He cut new Gasket and used some liquid electrical tape and these plastic ceiling fan brackets.We are not sure they will provide the clearance yet. But its a start. We may just need to custom fabricate as mossman suggested. But maybe this will help solve it.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-13, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
So the rings just hold the individual switch plates in the front panel ?
I thought the rings held the faceplate to the box.

Why couldn't you just use a flat piece of stock and drill holes in it ?

Name:  rusted mounting rings.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  47.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-17-13 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-17-13, 12:52 PM
You did well on your description and pictures, but it is still kind of hard to tell how this thing works without being there to play with it.
To me it almost looks like to old rings are keeping the gasket from making a seal (they seem to overlap the black gasket material around the edges).
As far as buying these off the shelf...
The first assumption is that they belong on this unit. They may have been scooped up from something different and used because they fit. Secondly, if they do belong it is likely a custom made part for this unit and you will not be likely to find one at the depot, etc.
Getting one machined is probably your best bet. Maybe have a few spares made at the same time.
Or as a last ditch effort, are there other breweries you could get ahold of to ask if they've ever seen that ring?

Old 11-17-13, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
They do seem vaguely familiar.
They kind of look like those metal rings you install on your toilet flange when it cracks. They are not, of course, but maybe that is why they look familiar.

Why couldn't you just use a flat piece of stock and drill holes in it ?
Good question/suggestion. Do they have to be rings? If there only purpose is to hold the covers tight against the enclosure faceplate, then you could just use a couple pieces of flat stock, as PJmax suggested.

Your "temporary fix" looks like a pretty decent solution to me. If it is doing the job of holding the covers so they are water tight, then I would just leave it as is.

Old 11-17-13, 07:54 PM
Have you checked with Moeller? It looks to me like the water proof covers are made specifically to work with those manual motor starters.