Help: Nichrome wire Heater

Old 11-15-13, 07:43 PM
Help: Nichrome wire Heater

I am building a heater for my thermoforming machine I plan to use 22 awg Nichrome wire with my math I have done the specs are 220 volt, 2400 watts, and 10.909 with 4 segments each segment should have a resistance of 80.667 making the total resistance 20.167. The one issue I have ran into deciding on using 220 volts is that I will need to use 4 times the Nichrome wire (107.556 inches) compared to using 110 volts

I am wondering what specs of controller or controllers would I have to use. I have found this one
but I would like to find a old dryer switch or oven switch to save some money, This is my first time attempting a electronic task like this and would appreciate if someone could share some knowledge.

The reason I have decided on the 220 volt because using 120 volts I will be using 21.816 Amps the circuit I am using is 20 amps, I still would be running a Vacuum and a fan on that circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-13, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
First off you should check what voltage your electrical service is with a meter. In the US many people say 220 or 230 volt when the standard voltage is really 240 volts. This may change your calculations.

Using a dryer switch would be fine but I don't think it would really give you anything better than a two pole switch. On and Off.

If you want to vary the heat you might want to look at a Variac. That will allow you to adjust the voltage so you can adjust the heat. I company we do a lot of work for uses then quite a bit with Nichrome wire for bending/folding plastic. They just use a stopwatch for timing how long.