Electrical connection to water heater

Old 11-15-13, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical connection to water heater

Kinda confused on my plumbers electrical work... lol. By the way new to the forums. Anyway. We are restoring an old home and had a plumber install a new water heater. But things happened and we fired the contractor before all work was done and I am trying to tie up some loose ends. The electrical connection to the water heater happens to be one of them. Here's my problem. Hot water heater has a red wire a black wire and green(ground). The wiring he has coming out of the breaker panel has a red wire a black wire a white wire and ground. I connected the black to black, red to red, capped off the white, and grounds to the ground screw. Cut the breaker on and it instantly threw. Looked in the breaker panel and he has the red and black wire going to a double pole 30 amp breaker and white wire going to.the ground/ neutral bar. Any suggestions as to what I need to check? And I apologize for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 09:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your connection was correct. It sounds like when you closed up the connection box on the WH the ground touched a hot wire. Open the connection box on the WH and pull the wires out so they are well separated and try again with the wires out.

Sounds like he just brought an NM-b cable out of the wall and to the heater without using a disconnect or even a junction box. Not best practice but we will deal with that later.

Old 11-16-13, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
The ground should also connect in the panel.

If the WH is in sight of the panel a disconnect would not be needed.

Old 11-16-13, 07:05 AM
The ground and neutral are on the bus/ground bar in the panel. About to get started this morning. Will update you guys later.

Old 11-17-13, 01:24 AM
Got it figured out. Seems I traced the wires wrong and was switching on the wrong breaker.