Problem with old wiring

Old 11-15-13, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with old wiring

I have a 90 year old house with old BX cable. I have been replacing as ive been going along. I now have a problem I ran a new line from the basement to the second floor outlet. It had a bx cable connected to it going to the finished attic. We left it disconnected because it was to short to reach the box again for some reason. We thought it went to the ceiling fan and light in the room which I would just not use for a while. However after turning the breaker back on it apparently feeds the entire second floor minus the bathroom. Is there any way to extend this wire without having to install a junction box in the bedroom wall? Any ideas would be great because I wasnt planning on ripping up the attic any time soon. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-13, 06:04 AM
How short is the cable? How are you accessing it?

Old 11-16-13, 08:59 PM
The cable makes it into the outlet box but is almost impossible to attach it to the outlet. We had it attached but it pulls on the wire a lot.

Old 11-16-13, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
There is no proper way to extend the wire without the use of a junction box.

Old 11-17-13, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
There are some UL approved methods for permanently spicing NM-B behind a wall without a junction box, but nothing that will do NM-b to BX. (and even the NM-B splicing devices aren't universally accepted yet)

Can you find the next junction box that cable is attached to? You could then abandon that piece of BX and use the next box to junction to your new cable.

Old 11-17-13, 08:18 AM
Im not certain where it goes I have a finished attic and plaster walls that I really dont want to remove. For all I know is that its chained to everylight fixture on the second floor. It may run to the light switch or the light itself. And if it is it goes through numerous studs.

Old 11-17-13, 08:47 AM
You never answered my question about how you are accessing the wire. Never-the-less, you can do a couple things. If you are accessing the wire from a side attic that has an access panel, you can put a junction box back there to extend the cable. If that is not the case, install another outlet down the wall. Then you can use that box to splice in a longer cable from the new junction box to the old one.

Old 11-17-13, 09:09 AM
Sorry the only way to get to the wire is after I remove the outlet box. It comes down from the attic to the left of it.