Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Pass & Seymour 3 way paddle switch Can't tell what pushin hole is for the Common

Pass & Seymour 3 way paddle switch Can't tell what pushin hole is for the Common

Old 11-20-13, 07:02 PM

Hi,

On the Pass & Seymour 3 way paddle switch I can't tell what push in hole is for the Common wire, I know about the screw but the Push In Holes are confusing, I'm pushing in the wires, which one is the common one. Is it the Bottom one or the Middle one.

This is a new switch I bought from lowes, not the older type.

If you have used them you might see why I'm confused!

A image would be nice, if you have one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-13, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the forums!

On the Pass & Seymour 3 way paddle switch I can't tell what push in hole is for the Common wire, I know about the screw but the Push In Holes are confusing, I'm pushing in the wires, which one is the common one.
Use the identifiable screw terminal to connect your wire. If the "push-in hole" you're referring to is a back-stab terminal, they are notorious for making poor connections, leading to loose wiring and circuit failures. I'm surprised to learn that a new device has those.

Is it the Bottom one or the Middle one.
Since there is no "up" or "down" on a switch, there is no top or bottom. A common fix for getting a 3-way to flip the way you want it to is to turn it over.

Old 11-21-13, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look to see which terminal says Common.

Old 11-21-13, 08:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the answers but for reference and saving a new switch, I could take the new one apart and look but why waste the money and destroy a new one.

It is not a matter of up or down or which terminal says common.

I can also use the screws.

If you look at the back of one of these P&S 3 Ways you will see that the push in holes are situated so it is confusing to tell between one of the travelers and the common.

Let's say the Common Screw is the Bottom which of the 2 holes is the Common is it the Middle hole or the Bottom hole, the Top screw and Hole are clearly out of the way.

You have to really look at these switches to see what I am talking about.

Old 11-21-13, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
It is not a matter of up or down or which terminal says common.
The manufacturer flips a coin then uses the results to put the common there in their design. Then they use an odd color to mark it. Usually black because like Ford and model Ts it is an easy color to use.

I can also use the screws.
Should not can use the screws. The backstabs or less reliable. Why worry about them?

Let's say the Common Screw is the Bottom which of the 2 holes is the Common is it the Middle hole or the Bottom hole, the Top screw and Hole are clearly out of the way.
Why rack your brain with that. Just use the more reliable screws.

You have to really look at these switches to see what I am talking about.
No, it doesn't matter. Just use the screws. You are making the simple hard.

If you are loosing sleep use a multimeter set to ohms to determine which is which.