Capping Unused Outlets

Old 11-22-13, 09:35 AM
Capping Unused Outlets

There are 2 device boxes on my wall up by the ceiling. I think they held sconces at one point that were replaced with outlets.

In box 1 there was orange hot from switch and another going to the next box. There was also two white neutrals connected to outlet.

In box 2 was a single orange hot and 2 whites.

I merely wirenutted the two oranges and again with the two whites in box 1. In box 2 I wirenutted the two whites and put a nut on the lone orange.

I put blank cover plates on both. I might redo them with sconces down the road or I may leave it permantly....

Is there anyharm abandoning this as I have done?

Theres another outlet I am considering removing as well..... only it iis not switched, it actually in the middle of the run with other outlets.

Is there anything I should consider here?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 03:25 PM
There are 2 device boxes on my wall up by the ceiling. I think they held sconces at one point that were replaced with outlets.

In box 1 there was orange hot from switch and another going to the next box. There was also two white neutrals connected to outlet.

In box 2 was a single orange hot and 2 whites.

I merely wirenutted the two oranges and again with the two whites in box 1. In box 2 I wirenutted the two whites and put a nut on the lone orange.

I put blank cover plates on both. I might redo them with sconces down the road or I may leave it permantly....

Is there anyharm abandoning this as I have done?
Sounds like you did good -- especially buy putting blank covers on.

Theres another outlet I am considering removing as well..... only it iis not switched, it actually in the middle of the run with other outlets.

Is there anything I should consider here?
If you want the other outlets to remain live --- after removing the outlet join the hots together and wirenut them --- same as the white neutrals --- put a blank plate on and you're good to go.