dc winch to ac 110

Old 11-22-13, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dc winch to ac 110

I am looking into a 12v 2000lb winch from HF, because it's inexpensive, $79.
I need to lift max. 1000lbs, once a week, for 2 minutes...
The winch is cheap, but I need to run it on 110...simply because its in my garage, I'll bolt it to the rafters, and I figure it will be less $ to convert??? then to get a battery and charger...
Help...LEAST expensive convert, or advice...
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can't convert at all or buy a supply cheaply. Guessing it probably draws 20 amps or more...not cheap to find a DC supply that can do that. Best to just buy a battery and when not in use put a battery charger/tender on it.

Old 11-22-13, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is it you have to lift?

Old 11-23-13, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
Yes, i think a battery and charger would be the cheapest way. The winch on my Gator pulls up to 185 amps at max load so you won't find a converter or power supply to provide that much current for a reasonable price. Keep in mind that your battery and cables will have to be able to supply the current your winch will need. Some of those really cheap winches are very inefficient and have a high current draw so you may be pulling 80 or more amps to lift your 1'000 pounds. For slightly more money I would consider a Superwinch. Not as expensive as a Warn but still a very good quality winch.

Old 12-21-13, 02:47 PM
Thanks for replies...I got a Car Battery and a charger to maintain it...works great...
btw, I am lifting custom built (empty) large/long shipping crates, after they are on a invented..."rolling-rack" I built for the back of a pick-up truck, the winch lifts the rack after the crate has been "rolled up", it lifts one end, other end is on pivot, usually crates are 15-24'L x 18" x 18", they're for a rug manufacturer I supply... a "high-end-ultra-expensive" rug company, I handle their crating needs. I am a furniture-maker, but I took the account to pay the bills, ha. StvnsMstrWdwrks.can

Edit: As a lifelong fan of old houses and fine wood and furniture work, it pained me to mess up your web address, but I had to. Our forum rules don't allow any commercial links in the posts.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 12-21-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Thanks for stopping back and filling us in.

You picked the most cost effective way to power that lift

Pete Name:  snow_grin.gif
Views: 806
Size:  1.3 KB

Old 12-21-13, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I remember a HF flier a while back that advertised a 110 volt winch. I didn't pay much attention to the ad because I don't really have a use for a 110 volt winch but I think it was under $100 and had a 1500 lb capacity.

I have a 2000 lb 12 volt winch from HF and am well satisfied with how it preforms although in hind sight I wish I had bought a bigger winch to bolt on my tractor.

Old 12-21-13, 04:23 PM
oh...ha, that's okay! I didn't know...sorry, and Thanks too!