Receptacle problem or am I hallucinating?

Old 07-22-14, 12:44 PM
okay thanks, that was my biggest worry .. hazard in the walls ... they are all insulated in this house..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-14, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the receptacles adjacent don't feed it .. could one of the pot lights have power coming from them? This outlet is on an outside wall under 3 windows, the room is shaped like a bay window in the area of the receptacle so there is no other room for the power to come from ...
This is a longshot, but here in CA outlets are often switched.
Look for a switch in this room that either (A) Feeds the Outlet, or (B) May have fed that outlet at some point.

I say it's a longshot because normally the entire outlet would not be switched, just half of it, so you would have a red wire in the box also.

Edit: What I'm getting at is someone may have used the power that was originally going to this outlet to power (and switch) the can lights.

Old 07-22-14, 08:23 PM
Nope, no switch .. E for effort. This electrical stuff is like a good math equation isn't it

Old 02-18-16, 08:28 PM
Update on this problem circuit

This circuit which I posted about, where the electrician left a receptacle with back stabs cut off and the receptacle was not working. After posting and trying a number of things to try troubleshoot it ......... another electrician was called in. For whatever reason, two receptacles, one upstairs and one downstairs were connected BUT ... there was no wire continuing on to the panel or another power source .... they are just connected to each other?????????? Only in Wisconsin....