electric stove

Old 02-25-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

If moving a stove from one side of room to the other, can I make a connection at point"A" and extend to point"B" or do I have to start back at the breaker box with a new wire.

Old 02-25-01, 08:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If point B is closer to the electrical panel than point A then you can just move the wires over to the new location into the new box /plug (or the same box/plug if it is moved also). If point B is further than point A , you should be able to connect a new wire from box A to go to box B, and cap Box A with a metal plate. If Wgoodrich or John would like to comment on any specific code requirement on this , I beleive if I am not mistaken junction boxes have to be excessable, which it would be if it is still on the wall with a metal cap on it (depending on what the new use is for that wall) and the junction must be inside of an electrical box which it would be. If the junction box will be unaccessable, under those circumstances maybe it will have to have a new cable run, I'll let Wgoodrich or John comment on this.

Old 02-25-01, 08:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

The junction box will be very accessable on the basement ceiling.
If this is a good thing then thank you very much for your quick response.

Old 02-26-01, 10:06 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
dkerr is partially right and be able to stay within the Code requirements. If your old cable can reach without installing new cable then dkerr is right.

If you must add new wire to that existing range cable and that existing range cable is only 3 wires and not 4 wires then you must run a new 4 wire cable from the panel becuase the existing rule allowing 3 wires would not apply. You would be installing new cable, therefore you must meet new installation requirements of the current code calling for a 4 wire cable. A red, black, white and a bare cable that is a minimum size of number 8 cu. although # 6 cu. would be nicer being better than minimum. The range receptacle must also be a 4 prong receptacle with a 4 wire cord going to the range and the white to frame jumper removed inside the range.

Hope this helps

Wg

Good Luck

Old 02-26-01, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
I know the wire there now is #10, I thought that would be alright.
Just to let you know this is my sons home and I am sort of mister fix it. Judging from your direction I think maybe I should have someone else do the job. I will go back and look at the size wire and wheather it is a 3 or 4 prong plug.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: