Replacment Doorbell TX

Old 11-24-13, 04:44 PM
Replacment Doorbell TX

I like to replace a standard doorbell transformer that is mounted to a electrical box. I think its 16v (probably 19v when idle).

I dont really have an accessible box to mount a new one on though. So I would like one that plugs into a standard outlet and that I can use with the standard bell wire and chime already in place...

any suggestions on what I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Sure. You can pickup an alarm transformer which is 16.5vac. They are available in 15-50watt units. A 15 watt unit should be fine.

The one in the link is 25 watts which will also work fine. You can search around for better deals.

Amazon: Honeywell Ademco 1321 16.5V Plug-In Transformer: 25 watt

Old 11-25-13, 06:20 AM
thanks, thats what I had in mind but I just checked the old 16v one, and its rated 10VA.

The ones I see online are all 25>40VA.

Did you see a plug in 16v, 10VA?

Old 11-25-13, 07:57 AM
I like to replace a standard doorbell transformer that is mounted to a electrical box. I think its 16v (probably 19v when idle).

I dont really have an accessible box to mount a new one on though. So I would like one that plugs into a standard outlet and that I can use with the standard bell wire and chime already in place...

any suggestions on what I need?
I'd mount the new transformer on the same box as the old one. The 16V 10VA transformers were usually the cheapy transformers sold in contractor doorchime packs. I'd buy a new 16V 15VA chime transformer.

Old 11-25-13, 09:18 AM
So the 10VA doesnt have to be an exact replacement?

Any downside to beefing up the watts to the heavy 15 (or 25VA monster)? (as far as compatibility to the chimes or lighted swwitches?)

BTW: mounting to the old box is not possible, I would have already picked up a hardwire replacement at the hardware store. I would like the plug in if its possible....

Old 11-25-13, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Generally transformers of the type you need are hard wired only. Why do you want a plug in?

Old 11-25-13, 10:14 AM
Generally transformers of the type you need are hard wired only. Why do you want a plug in?
THats what I was thinking too, I cant find exactly what I am looking for.

The box the old one was mounted too is no longer accesible. I cant find a reasonable place for relocation.... I dont want to mount it to my panel either and I am hesitant to mount it on any box that is dedicated.

So pretty much a hardwired one is my only true replacement?

Old 11-25-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
The box the old one was mounted too is no longer accesible.
Please explain. It is a code violation for a box not to be accessible if it contains live wires.

Try using the search term:
"Wall transformer" "15 volts AC"
to find a wall wart that will work. Should be rated 1 amp minimum.

Old 11-25-13, 11:52 AM
Please explain. It is a code violation for a box not to be accessible if it contains live wires
No not like that. Its been removed. No code violation this time...

Try using the search term:

"Wall transformer" "15 volts AC" to find a wall wart that will work. Should be rated 1 amp minimum.
So 1 amp minimum. Another poster suggests the 25VA will work. The old one says 10VA. Your saying 15V DC will work but the doorbell ones I have seen are 16.5 I think.

Still not sure what I am looking for! Probably need to explore another hardwired option or a crappy wireless option.

I'll try your search suggestions though...

best regards!

Old 11-25-13, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Your saying 15V DC will work
No. 15 volt AC. I say it is likely. I can't guarantee.