Siemens Load Center...which breakers can I use?

Old 11-24-13, 09:58 AM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Siemens Load Center...which breakers can I use?

Most in my panel are Siemens QP type I think. But there are a LOT of Square D, GE, Cutler Hammer etc. It looks like they just use whatever fits. Is this OK? I ask because I have some 50A breakers that I need to hook up a few things and they are GE. They seem to fit OK, but are they safe to use? Is there a place I can go and see what is listed? Not all home improvement stores sell Siemens and I need this up and running.

Is there an exhaustive list of approved breakers for these Siemens panels?

The breaker in question a 2 pole GE. It says HACR type THQL.

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 11-24-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-24-13, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There should be a list of acceptable breakers on the label inside the panel. While the others may appear to fit it is a technical violation to use them. There is also no guarantee that they are fitting correctly.

Old 11-24-13, 11:42 AM
A
Must not be too big a deal. Two licensed electricians used them. Thats why I have square D and GE in it. LOL.

Ill try to find the right breakers. The last one used Square D AFCI in the panel. Maybe I should replace those?

Its a DP-3640 Combo Arc Fault breaker. Is it kosher in my Siemens panel?

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 11-24-13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Square D AFCI in the panel. Maybe I should replace those?
Yes.

Its a DP-3640 Combo Arc Fault breaker. Is it kosher in my Siemens panel?
No. Only Siemens breakers are designed, manufactured and listed for use in your Siemens panel. In addition, not all Siemens breakers will work in your panel.

There should be a list of acceptable breakers on the label inside the panel.
If it is not there, post the make and model of your panel and we can help you find out which breakers will work in it.

Must not be too big a deal. Two licensed electricians used them. Thats why I have square D and GE in it.
The members of this forum are not responsible for the mistakes of others. OTOH, it's your house, your family and your life that this panel is intended to protect.

Old 11-24-13, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Must not be too big a deal. Two licensed electricians used them. That's why I have Square D and GE in it. LOL.
I won't speak on anyone's ethics, but not all are at the same level. There is a difference between something fitting and being the code compliant thing to use. Just because something appears to work does not make it correct.

Old 11-24-13, 02:34 PM
A
IM going to replace them. Ill make the electrician drive his ass out and replace them.

My panel is Siemens W4242ML1225CU Series F Type 3R.

Sure would be nice if the DP-3640 Square D AFCI crossed as being good for that panel.

Just out of curiosity....why would a breaker or AFCI NOT work in a given panel if it locks in. I mean, it has two or three terminals and current is passing through it right? So....I don't quite understand why a manufacturer would be anal about what breakers go in, aside from the money making avenue of course.

Im asking because the Siemens AFCI has HORRIBLE reviews.

Old 11-24-13, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
why would a breaker or AFCI NOT work in a given panel if it locks in.
So....I don't quite understand why a manufacturer would be anal about what breakers go in, aside from the money making avenue of course.
Liability? Litigation?

Why would it work? Why would you expect it to? Will a BMW motor work in a Toyota, or vice versa?

Siemens breakers are designed and made by Siemens to perform as expected and requires when properly installed in an appropriate Siemens panel. The same is true for GE, Square D, Eaton Cutler-Hammer, or any other brand you can think of. Only the breakers made for any given panel have been tested and certified by an independent testing company as providing acceptable protection when installed in that panel.

My panel is Siemens W4242ML1225CU Series F Type 3R.
Fine. What Siemens breakers, or breaker types, are listed on the label inside the door for use in that panel?

The Siemens AFCI has HORRIBLE reviews.
Examples?

Old 11-25-13, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some breakers not listed on the panel's original label are legal. They fall under the heading "Classified" and have classified printed on the breaker. Classified breakers come with a small label to be attached to your panel. This label lists your panel's model number and proves the breaker is legal for the use.

Good luck finding an arc fault you like better, though. AFCIs all have similar drawbacks.

Old 11-25-13, 06:36 AM
A
There were a lot of reviews on Amazon that mentioned the AFCI being dead out of the box.

As for breaker selection, I don't see any mention of any kind of breaker aside from Siemens part numbers....QP, QT, etc.

Im going to put the proper ones in, I was just curious, that's all. Not doubting ANYTHING you are telling me.

Glennsparky....the AFCI from Square D that I have is not giving me any trouble. However, now I am doubting that it is working at all. Ill have to look for the classified label.

Old 11-25-13, 08:16 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
As for breaker selection, I don't see any mention of any kind of breaker aside from Siemens part numbers....QP, QT, etc.
If I recall correctly, GE breakers are not U.L. Listed to be installed in a Siemens panel. I can guarantee you no Square D breaker is U.L. Listed in any iemens panel. If all you see on the label is Siemens breaker types, than you should just use Siemens breakers.

I don't quite understand why a manufacturer would be anal about what breakers go in, aside from the money making avenue of course.
It's all about U.L. approvals which are not an inexpensive thing to get.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: