Generator hookup questions

Old 11-22-13, 10:52 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generator hookup questions

Hi, I'm trying to prepare for winter, and I'd really like to get a generator and the necessary transfer switch to wire it up to my circuit breakers.

Not being that familiar with electrical work, I think I'm shooting for an idea that may just not be possible. My idea is that I'd have a simple switch between utility/generator (so I'm not electrocuting anyone up line!), and when the power is out, I'd flip off all my breakers, flip this switch, turn on the generator, and switch back on the breakers that I want to use.

The transfer switches I'm looking at seem to have a different opinion that I don't care for, where you must power 5-10 predetermined breakers. This seems very limiting! I know my hot water heater pulls a lot, but I'd love to be able to let my generator power only my hot water heater for an hour to warm it up if need be.

Is my ideal setup even possible?
Thanks!

Old 11-22-13, 11:04 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Here is one way it can be done using a subpanel. Any load you might want to powe is moved to the subpanel.

Old 11-22-13, 11:47 AM
J
Look into what's called an Interlock Kit. It prevents backfeeding and only allows one power source at a time and you can pick which breakers you power.

Old 11-22-13, 12:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
But not all jurisdictions allow interlocks because most are easily defeated by removing the cover.

Old 11-26-13, 07:23 AM
R
Sorry for ignoring both of you, my notifications ended up in spam! The interlock idea seems rather appealing to me as a DIYer, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in bypassing it. I will have to check with my local codes to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal!

Old 11-26-13, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You will also need two or three breaker spaces available for the interlock.

Old 11-26-13, 07:37 AM
R
thanks for the heads up on that, I already checked my breaker and I can easily move 2-4 down one to an empty spot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: