new disconnect added

Old 11-26-13, 10:21 AM
new disconnect added

Hi
I have a home that I just bought. it had a main panel with main breaker. has ground rod with panel being bonded. also has net & ground bonded.
just in the last few months the Elec co AEP installed under ground cables from transformer to meter. they required 4 cable to service & outside disconnect with 100 amp breaker.

My concern is will I need ground rod for new disconnect? & will I have to unbound net & ground bus at breaker panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-13, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The disconnect is now the service panel where the bonding and ground will take place. The old panel needs to be unbonded and be fed with 4 wires and grounds moved to a grounding bar.

Old 11-26-13, 05:07 PM
disconnect added

Hi Thanks
That is what I thought! will I need a grounding rod for disconnect?
My biggest problem will be to separate the net & grounds in breaker box.
I think some of the wires are to short to reach separate bus. can they be spliced to add length? Thanks for the help...

Old 11-26-13, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can splice so they reach the bar. Some panels also have multiple ground bar locations.

Your grounding rod will be connected to the disconnect along with any water line ground.

Old 11-26-13, 07:06 PM
will I need a grounding rod for disconnect?
Yes.

Usually there will be a green bonding screw that bonds the neutral bus in the disconnect to the box. Code requires the neutral (bus) be grounded to a ground rod and water service where it enters the house, these both normally terminate on the neutral bus, but sometimes the neutral bus in a disconnect doesn't provide an adequate number of terminals. If you must add a ground bar, the ground bar and neutral bus must be connected with a wire, I'd use a #6 copper either bare or insulated. The wire is required regardless of whether you are using the green bonding screw or not.

Old 11-26-13, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My experience is a little different than CJ. I have never needed to add a wire between the neutral and ground bar. The bond screw was enough.

Old 11-26-13, 07:26 PM
My experience is a little different than CJ. I have never needed to add a wire between the neutral and ground bar. The bond screw was enough.
The wire between the ground bar and neutral bus is only required if the neutral bus doesn't have enough termination holes for the GEC (ground wire) to terminate directly on the neutral bus.