Basic question, but beyond me...

Old 11-26-13, 06:27 PM
Basic question, but beyond me...

I had hired an electrician to install a switched light and outlets in my daughter's house. He started the job (6 weeks ago!), then disappeared, leaving some tools behind.

He installed the switch, the ceiling light and the outlets, but left before making the connections.

There is a new 15 amp circuit 14/2 wire running from the panel to the attic, a new 14/2 wire from the switch, a new 14/2 wire running from one outlet, and another new 14/2 running from the other outlet - all to the attic. They were all left beside a junction box.

I presume I can't just connect the 4 blacks, then the 4 whites, and ground the ground wires to the box. What are the correct connections?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-13, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are there only two conductors in the switch box? Can you determine where each cable goes?

The answers will determine how the junction gets wired.

Old 11-26-13, 06:45 PM
Hi: Yes - just the two conductors in the switch box. Each cable goes to the attic and they do not connect to any other boxes, cables, etc. I guess it was done this way to simplify running the cables up through lath and plaster walls.

Old 11-26-13, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The power in black with connect to the 2 blacks in the cables that go to the receptacles as well as the white in the cable that goes to the switch.

All the other whites will connect together.

The black from the switch cable will connect to the black in the cable going to the light fixture.

All grounds will be spliced together and to any metal boxes and all devices.

The white going to the switch should be marked at both ends with black tape or magic marker to designate it as a hot.

Old 11-26-13, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much. I figured it would be something like that, but better to ask than trial and error!

Old 11-26-13, 07:19 PM
I can't say for sure about the CEC, but if this were in the U.S. under the 2011 NEC, 3 wires would be required to the switch box. All switch boxes under the 2011 NEC are required to have a neutral conductor whether they are needed or not.

I had hired an electrician to install a switched light and outlets in my daughter's house. He started the job (6 weeks ago!), then disappeared, leaving some tools behind.
That isn't a good practice if he expects to be paid.