3 way switch ganged w/ standard switch

Old 02-13-14, 06:48 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch ganged w/ standard switch

See attached drawing for existing wiring setup. I want to know if it is possible to pigtail the 3 way switch to provide constant power to my standard switch for an outdoor light?

Here is what I tired..

I have a double gang box with a 3 way switch controlling my can lights. The other switch controls my outdoor light fixture.

I have the 3 way switch in use and works correctly. I am now ready to connect the standard switch for the outdoor light.

The red wire is my traveller and is hot. I pig tailed it and connected the pig tail to the top screw of the standard switch.

I connectected the black wire going to the fixture to the bottom screw of the switch.

I connected both neutrals and pig tailed it to the neutral screw on the 3 way switch. connected both grounds and pigtaied to grd on 3 way switch.
With these connections, the can lights continued to function but the outdoor light did not work.

I need to know if there s a configuration that would allow this to work.

Name:  SC16.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  28.3 KB

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
3 way switch.pdf (14.7 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by ray2047; 02-13-14 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Add your diagram.
Old 02-13-14, 07:13 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There is no neutral in the box. The white wire on the 3-way is most likely a traveler (assuming screw color is brass). You have no neutral in the switch box so it can not power your light.

Also the markings on the cable you show from the new light is wrong. If it is two conductor you should have a white, black, bare. White is neutral and black hot.

Old 02-13-14, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I see the three wire cable and am not quite sure if that two wire cable you are showing is new or proposed but you can not tap power off a three way circuit.

With a three way circuit the hot wire changes from one traveler to the other so that makes it almost impossible to tap off and if it's the end of a three way circuit, like yours appears to be, there is no neutral.

Old 02-13-14, 07:18 AM
N
WOW!!! yes, it is the end of a circuit. the 12/2 is already pulled and in the box.
My exact plan was to tap power off of the 3 way switch.

So considering I dont have a neutral, what are my options to get the exterior light working? considering I have already hung and finished the sheetrock.

Old 02-13-14, 07:24 AM
You have to run power to either the light or the switch box. If there is a receptacle on an unrestricted circuit near the switch you could come from there. You could also replace the 3-conductor cable between the two 3-ways with a 4-conductor cable.

Old 02-13-14, 07:33 AM
N
gotcha. It would be easier to run power to light fixture. I could make a small opening in the external sheathing and fish the wire from the top plate. Then use the exisitng wire as a switch leg.

Thanks for the help and advice. I will update the board once the correction is complete.

Mike

Old 02-13-14, 07:39 AM
Glad we could help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: