Need Suggestions for a Power Transfer Switch

Old 11-28-13, 12:52 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need Suggestions for a Power Transfer Switch

I need help designing some type of power transfer switch to connect a portable generator to a gas furnace (to power the blower and electronics).

My home is 101 years old and the gas furnace is located in a small area (not a crawl space) under the house. There is only an outside door that is located under a covered access door from above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22104[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22105[/ATTACH]

The generator is located outside in a well ventilated area on the back porch. I have the incoming cable running under the house (near the furnace). I have a few extension cords connected to it with the plugs inside the house ready for use. We have tested (and used) the generator and extension cords without any issues already. We have not yet (Thank God) have had to use the furnace during a power outage.

The furnace has a plug-in type plug that is plugged in to an outlet under the house on a dedicated circuit. I'm sure it's not up to Code but that is the why we bought the house (18) years ago and it works just fine. The furnace is only (9) months old and the installer made no mention of the wiring being a problem. ??

During severe weather, the basement access door frequently gets blocked by heavy snow/ice. It's sometimes difficult to keep clear during a bad storm.

I would like to be able to power the furnace off the generator during a power outage without going under the house and plugging it in to the generator cable.

I would like to be able to do this from inside the house.

How can this be done in a safe manner ?

I'm not interested in messing with the Main panel in anyway, shape or form. I would like to have a box inside that I can connect a lead off the generator.

Ideas ?

TIA.

Attached Images   
Old 11-28-13, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You'll have to either "mess" with the main panel, install a Generac type transfer switch, or devise a way to totally disconnect the furnace from your main panel. You may not have the furnace connected to the panel and generator at the same time

Old 11-28-13, 01:06 PM
K
Thank you for your reply.

The furnace has a plug on it right now. It's plugged into and dedicated outlet.

I would like to have some type of generic transfer switch installed.

How can that switch be designed to get power from the generator ? Could I use a dipole type box ?

Old 11-28-13, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
They make single transfer switches for funaces.

Old 11-28-13, 02:22 PM
K
Hmmm.....did not know hat PJmax!

I was trying to picture in my mind how I could design one myself. This is exactly what I had pictured!

Doesn't look like rocket science either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22106[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-13, 02:25 PM
K
Thumbs up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22107[/ATTACH]

Schematic above from a related thread.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-switch.html#b

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-14, 05:51 PM
E
Why not just unplug the furnace from the electrical recept & plug it into the extension cord connected to the gen-set when needed? (That is, connect it in for temporary use only.)

No need to cut into home wiring and far less costs. (Beside, using an extension cord (flexible cord) to act as permanent wiring is illegal & unsafe;
NEC 400.8 "Uses Not Permitted."
"Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings."

Last edited by enigma-2; 02-10-14 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add ref to NEC
Old 02-11-14, 07:30 AM
P
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
This is a simple one that will also switch the neutral, can be install by your panel or the furnace kill switch: (see videos on the web-site)

EZ Generator Switch | Manual Transfer Switch

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: