Need help wiring and removing switch

Old 11-30-13, 08:53 AM
Need help wiring and removing switch

I have an existing double switch that controls an outside light (top) and ceiling fan (bottom).

I want to replace the double with a single switch that controls only the light and have the fan hot wired with continuous power.

There are two feeds coming into the current switch. Black (left) and white (right) on the bottom from one line, and the same black (left) and white (right) on the top from the other. Ground the top left too.

Pics attached. How do I wire this?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  40.5 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  43.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-13, 09:10 AM
Additionally, the programmable switch that I want to (replace) install for the light has 3 wires; blue (load) black (line) and white (neutral).

How do I tie this in?

Old 11-30-13, 09:14 AM
Switch Loops

With two cables and two switches, you have switch loops for each fixture. Connect the light switch to its switch loop. Cap the black and white for the fan switch loop as it will not be used.

At the fan, disconnect the fan wires from the fan switch loop and cap the switch loop wires. Connect the fan wires directly to the hot and neutral feeding the fan box.

Old 11-30-13, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

If you only have two switch legs then you don't have a needed neutral.

Right now you have two black wires sharing a common connection. You have two white wires that are the switched outputs.

Is the link on the black side of the receptacle removed ?

Name:  vv.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  31.3 KB

Old 11-30-13, 09:48 AM
No, the link on the black side of the receptacle is connected.

Old 11-30-13, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The whites should not be the switched hots. The whites need to be the constant hot in a switch loop.

Old 11-30-13, 10:10 AM
Consider me an amateur so not sure what that means. If I can test the lines or do something else to aid in figuring this out let me know. Thank you

Old 11-30-13, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
I'm kind of at a loss to the wiring. Those two romex's may go back to one common location where the splices are made to the fan and light.

You could start by removing the black wires from the switch and see if they're both hot when checking from each one to ground.

There may not be a ground at that box. I see the green wire on the switch but it looks like the ground wires may have been cut off at the jacket of the cable. I don't see any ground wires in the box other than that green one.

Looks like a 1900 (4") box screwed to possibly block. There may be conduit to that box.
You'd need to visually verify it for us.

Old 11-30-13, 10:43 AM
Using a voltage tester and with both switches (and light and fan) OFF I get a connection touching the black side to either white connection.

With the top switch ON I then only get a signal now touching black to the bottom whit connection and black. Same thing for the bottom switch, vice versa.

When both switches (and light and fan) are ON, I get no signal read touching black to either white side, to themselves, both whites, et all combinations.

Also I don't get a signal when touching the black to the ground wire. I see that the ground also is NOT from the romex but just a small wire connected to the back of the box and the switch.

I'm no electrician but seems strange. Old house, who knows. Appreciate the help.

Old 11-30-13, 10:55 AM
Yes. Ground from both romex is cut at the jacket and not connected to anything.

Ground on switch is connected straight to screw on the back of the box.

Will test and confirm anything if needed. Let me know. Thanks

Old 11-30-13, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Yes..... strange and incorrect. That junction box is not grounded.