Electrician Tools for Hubby X-Mas

Old 12-01-13, 04:16 PM
Electrician Tools for Hubby X-Mas

I want to buy my husband some electrician tools for x-mas.

What size screwdrivers (phillips and standard) would be best for general electrical?

What size linesman pliers are best?

He already has a nice pair of wire strippers, side cutters and needle nose (ive been comparing pictures, thats why I know the names!! lol) ...

what else would complete a solid electricans tool box?

Any and all advise needed....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-13, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No way would I want someone else picking out my tools no matter how well intentioned.
I'll take a gift certificate instead so I can buy the brand and tool I really need not one someone else thinks I need.

Old 12-01-13, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like the 9" linemans for the extra leverage when cutting.

For screwdrivers I use a #1 and a #2 Phillips with either a 4 or 6" shaft. A 3/16 and a 1/4" straight are good for most others. A #2 Robertson square tip is handy too. A holdit tip is nice too.

If he uses NM cable I like the strippers that cut the jacket in one motion.

A nice analog voltage detector like the vol-con from Ideal is handy to check things when troubleshooting.

Old 12-01-13, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
I have used nothing but Klein linesmen pliers, and will continue to do so for my entire life. Not having my Klein's would be like loosing my right arm. They are spendy (about $35) but I have only bought 2 in 8+ years. The only thing that takes them out is cutting a hot wire.

I also like the NM strippers that PCBoss mentioned. This is what I use: Reflex™ Super 12/2 & 14/2 NM Cable T®-Stripper Wire Stripper

Your said he has strippers, but if he doesn't have these type of strippers: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Reflex™ Premium T®-Stripper It might be worth the upgrade. I really like the curved handles. (Same as the NM stripper)

I like the Klein 1/4" X 6" long slotted screwdriver. This would be my 2nd most used tool, and I use it all the time for everything.

Another item would be #2 square screwdriver. A lot of fittings now have combo heads and the square driver fits the best

Last (well not last, but we only have so much space) in my tool pouch is a combo 6 in 1 screwdriver. I used to use a 10 in 1 but it was not heavy duty enough and parts kept falling out. It has #2 and #1 Phillips, 1/4" and 3/16" slotted, 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers. The one I carry is Lennox.

Do you want to get into meters?

BTW - I do agree with the others about the Gift Card. I know they are not as fun, but they are more fun then return stuff.

Old 12-01-13, 05:06 PM
Gift certificate for the win.

Tools are something people need to choose on their own. They want to determine the absolute need for the tool and the quality and brand. I'm pretty picky about paint gear and I doubt my wife would be able to figure out what I've found 'works for me' in the past. Thankfully, she's an artist and I know there's no chance in hell I'd be able to figure out what she likes to use for what she does.

Take the excitement when you go with them to the store and let them figure out exactly what they want and talk to them about what they're going to do with it.

Old 12-01-13, 05:40 PM
I have used nothing but Klein linesmen pliers, and will continue to do so for my entire life. Not having my Klein's would be like loosing my right arm. They are spendy (about $35) but I have only bought 2 in 8+ years. The only thing that takes them out is cutting a hot wire.
I think the husband has hinted at a new pair of these. He has said the ones he has are bulky and hard to twist wires with. What is the standard size for linesman pliers for working with residential sized wiring?

Old 12-01-13, 05:47 PM
If you want to get him something really nice.

Get him a True RMS voltage meter from FLUKE. It will cost around $800, but that is well worth it to ensure that he doesn't electrocuted, IMO.

Besides every electrician should have one anyways.

Old 12-01-13, 10:55 PM
For my home electrical work the tool that I probably use the most is a multimeter. If he doesn't already have one I suggest you check the Amazon reviews for them to pick one out. For stripping wires, I like the Klein 11055 Klein-Kurve Wire Stripper. For removing the outside jacket off plastic cable used for house wiring I use a Gardner Bender CR-100 4-Inch Romex Cable Ripper. A book is another idea. I have Taunton's Wiring A House and really like it because it has so many quality pictures. Another really cool tool is the Fluke 1AC-A1-II Volt-Alert AC Non-Contact Voltage Tester.

Old 12-02-13, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
Lets not forget the classic Wiggins solenoid tester. An Amprobe can be useful too.

Old 12-02-13, 08:11 AM
I think the husband has hinted at a new pair of these. He has said the ones he has are bulky and hard to twist wires with. What is the standard size for linesman pliers for working with residential sized wiring?
Lineman pliers come in either 8" or 9", but I don't even know a pro who uses the 8". This is what I would suggest.

9'' Journeyman

I used to like the ones that came with the bare steel handles and would also get the dark red grips separately, but not sure they still sell them that way. I believe the big box stores carry a pretty good selection of Klein tools at decent prices.

Old 12-02-13, 09:16 AM
Lineman pliers come in either 8" or 9", but I don't even know a pro who uses the 8".
I had an 8" pair for years, that I loved. They went missing after I bragged about them one day. I may replace them if I can find the same quality.

9" Journeyman is what I use everyday.

I used to like the ones that came with the bare steel handles and would also get the dark red grips separately, but not sure they still sell them that way. I believe the big box stores carry a pretty good selection of Klein tools at decent prices.
I cut the sipped-on grips off with a knife, heat the cushion grips up in water and drive them on. Only way to go, IMO.

As implied, you buy the better grips separately.

Klein 5-in-1

Klein opener