GFCI issues

Old 12-02-13, 07:48 PM
GFCI issues

I have a GFCI in my family room. I have used it to power an electric heater. The heater doesn't have a switch so I plug it in and unplug it to use it. The GFCI tripped and wouldn't reset. I replaced it and the new unit comes on with a light and won't reset. Nothing is plugged in now. When I first replaced it it came on and reset. So I plugged the heater in. It kicked the GFCI. I did that a few times and then it wouldn't reset. I took the old GFCI and put it in another box and it worked fine. Any ideas? I mean besides me being a dork.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-13, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Why do you have a GFCI in the family room?
Why doesn't the heater have an on/off switch? Do you mean the switch is broken?
How many watts is the heater?
When you installed the new GFCI are you sure you put the power in cable on the line side?

Old 12-02-13, 08:18 PM
I put it in because of the heater The heater switch broke. I think it is rated @1500 watts. Everything worked when I put it in. It has worked for 3 years. I assume(first mistake) the the line in went to line and the power out went Load. Now the light just stays on and it won't reset/

Old 12-02-13, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your GFI may have failed. Check the documentation to see what the lit light means.

Old 12-02-13, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
I put it in because of the heater The heater switch broke.
A GFCI is not a switch so what was its purpose?
I assume(first mistake) the the line in went to line and the power out went Load.
No that is the correct way but are you sure you didn't mix up the two cables or just one wire of one cable? You need to open all receptacles on the same breaker and move any wires inserted into the back of regular receptacles to the screws (does not apply to GFCIs as they are back wired not back stabbed).

My gut felling is you are overloading the circuit and have a failing connection. The heater needs to be replaced with one with a working switch and used on a dedicated circuit.

Old 12-02-13, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the input. The old GFCI and the new ones all work in other locations. I am not sure what the light means but the circuit won't reset, It seems like something simple cause it don't make much sense.
Anyway thanks for the input.

Old 12-02-13, 09:14 PM
We've tried it both ways. We tested which line was hot anyway. The light is on but it won't reset and the light don't go out. It has voltage to the GFCI but not out of it.

Old 12-02-13, 09:57 PM
I put it in because of the heater The heater switch broke.
Replace the heater. Replace the GFCI with a standard receptacle.

Thanks for the input. The old GFCI and the new ones all work in other locations. I am not sure what the light means but the circuit won't reset, It seems like something simple cause it don't make much sense.
Then you don't have a complete circuit in the family room receptacle box. What hot-to-neutral voltage does your meter show there?